Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-32D3000 multiline screen fault

profile.country.en_GB.title
TV-less
Visitor

KDL-32D3000 multiline screen fault

My KDL-32D3000 Bravia TV, manufactured in June 2007, has developed a screen fault. The screen is full of multi-coloured vertical lines. No picture is available.  Reading through other forums (avforum.com), this seems to be a common fault on this model from 2007. Rather disappointing for a TV which cost £700.

Can anyone advise of the cause of this fault?

Message was edited by: TV-less

Tags (3)
58 REPLIES 58
pinksquirrel
Visitor

I have exactly the same problem with mine and from looking through several other forums it seems to be a VERY common problem.  Been told that the whole panel needs replacing but no idea what that would cost.. not terribly impressed!

TV-less
Visitor

I suspected I was not alone!

avforum.com had a thread with a listing of around 40 users with the same problem, yet when users have reported the issue to Sony, they say they are not aware of a general issue with the design or manufacture of these sets (conveniently).

So I thought I would riase the issue on Sony's own forum - then they will be aware of it!!

profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer

That list is now up to 112 users who all have the same problem all with sets purchased mid to late 2007. Blindingly obvious its a batch problem but Sony admit nothing..they never, ever, do. Its shamful and who knows how many others who don't know about AVForums or the sale of goods act which Sony also hides behind the poor retailers.

I was lucky I had a 5 year warranty with John Lewis when mine went last year after 2.5 years of use. JL didn't even bother to attempt a repair but did a straight swap. "We get quite a few with this problem" was the quote I got from their excellent service manager.

Are you listening Sony ? Are you prepared to take responsibility for this ?

ballans
Visitor

I also have a Sony KDL-32D3000 manufactured in July 2007 which developed this fault six months ago. It required replacement of the  Tcon board, part no. 1-789-796-12. at a total cost of £200.

I spoke to the local Cambridge Sony Centre who informed me that they were not part of Sony and I should contact Sony directly. That was a waste of time as Sony advised me to contact the store where I purchased the TV. They were unaware of any stock fault with this TV. Believe that if you like.

The distributor paid for the repair under the Sale of Goods act.

I have four Sony TVs and have been a great supporter of Sony equipment. Perhaps other manufactures are equally bad with taking responsibility for faulty equipment but next time I shall try another manufacturer. Goodbye Sony

carins2759
Visitor

Dear Sony

I too have a KDL 32D 3000 which has devleoped the same fault - ie vertical stripy multicoloured lines - which I understand now needs a new T-con to repair the defect

The TV was manufactured in July 2007 - I bought it in August 2007 price £785- fault developed July 2010-

I contacted your customer service department and advised them of fault - they advised that there was a one year warranty and anything outside that peroid was not covered. I sugested that there had been a maunfacturing issue since may people also reported the same defect from TVs manufactured at the same time(see av forum -currntly 112 people reporting same defect). Customer service department still not interested in exploring matter further.

I have contacted the supplier of the TV and they ignore my communications.

Question for Sony - Can they advise if they had a problem with their manufacturing of their KDL32D3000 TV duing the July /August 2007 period - if so will Sony carry out repairs to rectify the fault?

mattdoonan
Visitor

Up until last night I've had no problems with my Sony, (much preferred it to my 37" Panasonic), but I switched on my KDL-32D3000 last night to find the same issue as above, looks exactly as the picture below taken from the AV forums thread.

(http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/807012-sony-bravia-kdl-32d3000-purple-vertical-line-f...)

My Sony was an insurance replacement in 2007, so no idea how I'm going to be able to claim for repairs for it.

mattclarkie1
Visitor

The TCON board fault affects the X3000, X3500, W4500 and probably the W5500 units to, I've even heard of V units affects. Sony US acknowledge that their version of the X3 have the fault and are offering free replacements. Sony UK will not acknowledge anything even for the same units the US are replacing.

It seems all Sony models released in 2007 have the fault as the X3 and W4 were released then also.

I have made a thread for the X and W units here.

profile.country.fi_FI.title
AngryBravia
Visitor

Hi,

same vertical line problem in my Sony Bravia KDL-32D3000. I'm from Finland and Sony here, suprise, suprise, won't admit the obvious T-Con board manufacturing fault.
Here's link to Sony Bravia brochyre, take a look at the last page and promises about "Longer Lasting TV". Not quite so, mine lasted little over three years... http://www.sony.co.uk/staticcontent/flashprojects/heme/guides/technologyGuide_en_GB.pdf

So please everyone with the same vertical line fault reply here and add yourself to the growing AV-forums.com list http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/807012-sony-bravia-kdl-32d3000-purple-vertical-line-f...
Hope that at least somewhere that list will finally make Sony pay for their faulty products.
profile.country.fi_FI.title
AngryBravia
Visitor

Sorry,

here's the right link to the KDL-32D3000 vertical line faulty list:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/807012-sony-bravia-kdl-32d3000-purple-vertical-line-f...

So please join if you have the same fault!