Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-32EX713 - Skype Update

profile.country.en_GB.title
rays54
Visitor

KDL-32EX713 - Skype Update

Does anyone know when/whether Bravia EX713 will be getting an update to include Skype and the other services that are now being sold with the new Bravia versions? I would have thought it is only a firmware update?

Many thanks

Rays54

Message was edited by: rays54

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.pt_PT.title
dtphl1
New

The thread 'skype and other widgets on 2011 devices' was completely deleted. And it did not contain any offensive language, only a lot of complaints from very unhappy customers. Customers who Sony chose to disrespect...

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Yes I'm aware of that post as it's been mentioned above I was asking if anyone was aware of other threads being removed..

sam_monk
Visitor

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and I'm happy to see that I'm not alone, when it comes to being throroughly hacked off with Sony over this issue.

I have been Buying Sony TVs for more than 20 years and right now, I feel that I will never buy another Sony TV ever!

I purchased my KDL-32EX713 from a retail store in the Bluewater Mall, after being told that it was the highest specification Internet TV in the Sony range, without going to the 3D models. Was it hell!

I specifically wanted to implement the Skype upgrade whren it came along, and was assured by the chap in the Sony shirt that all the Bravia Internet TVs were completely upgradable with the updates that were due in 2011.

I dont think the Guy was lieing, but simply repeating the nonsense that Sony were spreading at the time.

Also, the DLNA support on the Bravia models is nothing short of a Joke.

They only support MPEG2 not MPEG4 or any other modern format. I cant even play a video clip recorded on a Sony digital camera!

No support for audio files other than MP3 or WAV! Come on Sony, we are not still stuck in a 1990's timewarp!

Anyway. I'm off to look at Samsung Smart TV's. The EX713 is going on eBay!

Batfinkk

I kind of see where you are coming from - but bearing in mind Samsung have had 3 different platforms in the last 4 or so years, you would have been in the same situation had you bought a Samsung and they had changed platforms and not added the backward compatibility. Such is the nature of technology.

Maybe you are expecting too much thinking that a shop employee would be privvy to unannounced platform developments and updates - they are simply motivated to makes sales no matter what electrical store it is. He simply guessed as he wanted his commission......

My 2010 model handles DLNA is fine, the PC software handles all the transcoding and it supports divx and h.264 without bother. Bearing in mind the vast majority of digital music is in mp3 format and if you are playing back lossless files, then you probably aren't going to use an flatscreen which basically all have such tinny speakers. :thinking:

peniole
Visitor

Well I just found out none of the following TVs will be getting the the Skype update (confirmed by customer service, reluctantly I might add) or any useful widgets I think in the near future...

• KDL-32EX403 / EX500 / EX501 / EX503 / EX505 / EX508 / EX603 / EX605 / EX700 / EX701 / EX703 / EX705 / EX706 / EX707 / EX709 / EX710 / EX711 / EX713 / EX715 / EX716 / EX717 / EX719 / NX503
  • KDL-37EX403 / EX500 / EX503 / EX505
  • KDL-40EX403 / EX500 / EX501 / EX503 / EX505 / EX508 / EX603 / EX605 / EX700 / EX701 / EX703 / EX705 / EX706 / EX707 / EX708 / EX709 / EX710 / EX711 / EX713 / EX715 / EX716 / EX717 / EX718 / EX719 / HX700 / HX701 / HX703 / HX705 / NX503
  • KDL-46EX403 / EX500 / EX501 / EX503 / EX505 / EX700 / EX701/ EX703 / EX705 / EX706 / EX707 / EX708 / EX709 / EX710 / EX711 / EX713 / EX715 / EX716 / EX717 / EX718 / EX719 / HX700 / HX703 / HX705
  • KDL-52EX700 / EX703 / EX705
  • KDL-55EX500 / EX503 / EX505 / EX710 / EX711 / EX713 / EX715
  • KDL-60EX700 / EX703 / EX705

So could someone please tell me why on earth did I bother buying an internet TV with the promise of future Widgets being added? Also, the latest firmware "upgrade" [sic] 04/08/2011 is absolutely useless. See link!!!

http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/downloads/downloads.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&f=FW_Bravia4105EUL&ch=7&...

ChadKaplowski
Visitor

well isnt that soul destroying.

I just read an engadget piece about the new firmware available for Bravia TVs and got all giddy with excitement. Rushed over to Sony to try and find out more. The tv shown in MySony has a nifty little 'internet tv' pane which tells me all about these great features, but as I dig further, I see that my tv isn't supported :rage.

I only bought this TV earlier this year, brand new from a major high street retailer. I was never very impressed with the content on offer from Sony via the existing internet TV. Low quality YouTube, a terrible selection of internet TV channels, and music services that I dont use. How reassuring that a future firmware update might resolve it.

Not. Apparently, like all of you, my KDL-37EX403 that I bought less than 9 months ago is classed as a 2010 TV and thus not being upgraded. So I'm stuck with the useless tripe thats on there already.

I suppose I should think myself lucky that its connected via HDMI to my HTPC, otherwise I might end up trashing the thing.

I wonder how easy it is to create custom firmware packages....

profile.country.GB.title
Pixelz

I would have really liked Skype on my EX713 which is barely a year old, but if the hardware won't support it I guess it has to go down to experience, and I'll bear it in mind the next time I'm shopping for a new TV.

Even worse IMO, is the lack of a firmware update for MHEG5-IC which is required to view the Connect IPTV channels on Freeview 110 to 114.  This is now available in the latest firmware for 2011 TV's and it's omission from the 2010 range seems unjustified to me.

dubmuffin
Visitor

Just thought I'd try and bring this thread back to life. My KDL EX503 was also a 2010 model, bought just before the 2011's were released, with the promise of exciting updates to the internet widgets. I am rather disheartened to see this hasn't happened and the TV has the same functionality as when I bought it.

My brother bought his a couple of months later and I've just seen his updates and feel a bit left out:(

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Dubmuffin - There have been many video service updates to your model since launch including iPlayer, Mubi, Muzu, Sky News, Crackle, Euronews to name but a few. There are more scheduled over the coming months as well. Compared to the 2011 devices, you are only missing Skype & Facebook I think - what else are you missing comapred to his?

Thanks

jocardy
Explorer

No radio on the Iplayer Catmambo. Would be great for listening to plays etc.I'ts on the 2011 sets.