Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40W905A TV & RDR-HXD890 DVD RECORDER

Mervgs
New

KDL-40W905A TV & RDR-HXD890 DVD RECORDER

I have connected my KDL-40W905A TV to my RDR-HXD890 DVD RECORDER via a latest HDMI cable, however I am unable to record Freeview programmes via the remotes GUIDE button.

When I select the GUIDE button on the remote a Freeview guide shows on the TV screen. I then select a programme to record and the display shows the programme details along with the following messages:

Device Name : USB HDD

Recordable HDD not recognized

I am able to set the recorder via another long-winded method but not directly from the remotes GUIDE button.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi.

I don’t know if it’s possible, but, have you try to register in “Recording Set-Up”, RDR-HXD890 DVD as the device to use?

This link of KDL-40W905A - Manual - Performing initial set-up could be useful to you.

Turn on TV and DVD recorder.

Press HOME button, select [Settings]--->[System Settings] ---> [Recording Set-up] --> and see here if you can select RDR-HXD890 (HDMI or DVD or other name) as device to use.

Look even, all other possible selections in “Recording Set-up” menu.

Read even “Notes”, because in some situations...

“...USB HDD recording cannot be performed if [SCART REC on] is selected...”

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
profile.country.GB.title
miboard77
Explorer

Which of the two remotes are you pressing “Guide” on?.

To timer record programmes you should be looking at the Freeview guide that is provided by the RDR-HXD890 DVD Recorder not the Freeview HD guide on the KDL-40W905A TV.

The Freeview guide from the RDR-HXD890 should display on the TV via the HDMI connection when you press the Guide button on the RDR-HXD890’s remote. If not you may have to find / select the HDMI external input from the TV’s remote.

Your original post reads like you wanted to set a timer record from the KDL-40W905A’s Freeview HD guide via the HDMI lead to the RDR-HXD890 DVD Recorder without using a Scart lead connection?

If so, this will not work.

You must have a Scart connection with “SCART REC on” for this to work.

The HDMI connection in the KDL-40W905A is input only from the RDR-HXD890 with some limited Brava Sync functions.

From memory the programme record trigger would be by the TV making pin No.8 live on the Scart lead at the programmed start time.

Having stated all that, I am not sure if the RDR-HXD890 DVD Recorder has the ability to timer record from connected equipment via its Scart connections - not sure if Smartlink allows this function.

The term USB HDD referrers to a standalone Hard Disk Drive (NOT the one built into the RDR-HXD890) connected via the USB1 connection marked with HDD – the same type of external hard drive you would use connected to a computer.

Using an external hard drive like this is the only way to record programmes in High Definition from the KDL-40W905A.

jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi.

Even I think is not possible record via HDMI digital signals from TV. It’s possible record on RDR-HXD890 and use TV just only as a “monitor display” to view them.

With older Sony TV you can record some digital signals but only via scart. (I think that’s the same even with new models).

With newer TV, you can record digital signals, but only on TV (Via USB on flash memory USB or HDD) with file codified (playback is possible only on the same device).

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
Mervgs
New

Thanks for all the replys.

The 'long-winded' method I refer to is selecting Timed Programmes through the DVD Recorder which does work, however I would prefer a simpler method.

I do have an 'old' Mac Mini. Could I use that as an external USB HDD connected via the TV's HDD REC USB connection if I can 'formatt' the hardrive?
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi "Mervgs". You are welcome…  :slight_smile:

Even I do

“The 'long-winded' method” and “I would prefer a simpler method”

but…  :slight_frown:

Now for the second part:

“Could I use that as an external USB HDD connected via the TV's HDD REC USB connection if I can 'formatt' the hardrive?”

I don’t know. Just try…. :wink: :laughing: