Join now - be part of our community!

*** KDL-40WE663 Built In WiFi problems and X-Reality PRO query's

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

*** KDL-40WE663 Built In WiFi problems and X-Reality PRO query's

Hi, I need some help with my NEW KDL-40WE663 TV which I purchased last Monday.

I go round to setting it up a couple of days ago and during during 'set up', I was asked if I wanted to set up WiFi and I went ahead with it!  I chose "EASY" and followed the simple instructions but, it failed.

It shouldnt be this difficult but, I spent the next few hours (and more) trying to get WiFi to work,  but, no luck.  I tried Expert Mode, WPS, WPA, Scanning, Manual but nothing worked.

I tried using a Network Cable and that worked fine but, I wanted the "Built In"WiFi work.  I got errors from Local Access Failed and Internet Failed, Configuration Failed (Error 1002) No Link.

Pressing the WPS button on my Sky Router did not work and came up with the error, "WPS Router not found".  I then tried using the Router WPA Key with no luck.  I've reset to "Factory Settings" many times but that made no difference!

Ok, now hears thw most annoying apart!  We moved our 4 - 5 years old Sony KDL-55HX853 TV with 'built in' wireless, from the living room and up the the bedoroom, nce it was fixed to the wall, I turned it on and, as it was not going to have Sky running through it, I returned the TV to Factory Settings!

During the initial reset, I was asked if I wanted to set up "wireless internet" and I chose yes, pressed the WPS button on the downstairs Sky Router, then pressed 'start' and, with 20 seconds, 'wireless' was all setup!

So, there was nothing wrong with our Sky Router which now leaves me thinking that it MUST be the NEW WE663 TV.

Before I return it to the seller, can any members please help me to get the 'built in' wireless on the TV, working?

* Now, with reference to the second issue, I read in these forums last night that, the W6 series which should have the "X-Reality PRO" feature and, despite all of the hype about this feature, both on the Sony website and, in the User Manual, thse TV's do not have "X-Reality PRO"at all!

I've looked in the Settings/Display/Advanced Menu and it shows "LED Motion" which, is not "X-Reality PRO.

Apart from "false advertising", can any Community members tell me where we stand on this?

As stated, the TV is only a week old and I can return it but, I do want the "Built- in" Wireless to work but, the missing X-Reality PRO feature is just not on!

Thank you in advance. 

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Lets tackle this is steps:

1 - X-Reality Pro and MotionFlow:

X-Reality Pro and MotionFlow are two separate things.  X-Reality Pro is basically the technology from upscaling video to Full HD and/or 4K.  Where-as MotionFlow technology smooths out the video in fast scenes to remove judder.  Please see this information HERE for more information on X-Reality Pro.

Your TV does indeed have the X-Reality Pro chip.

Sony use the term 'MotionFlow' as a umbrella word for a range fo technologies.  This includes 'LED Motion Mode'.  Please see HERE for information about Motionflow and HERE for LED Motion Mode.

2 - Wifi Issues:

I have had a look at the specs of your TV, it does indeed have Wi-Fi.  However it is b/g/n AND 2.4GHz band only.  So if you are attempting to use the 5GHz frequency, then its not going to work.  Can you confirm if you are actually using 2.4GHz band?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi Quinicus

Thank you very much for your welcome response on my query's about our 'new' 40WE663.

Ok, update for you. I've managed to connect wirelessly to our homenetwork and, yes, we were only using the 2.4 GHz Band!  I don't know why we were unable to connect over the last couple of days but, this morning, I tried again to connect wirelessly to our network and it worked!  :smiling: 

With regard to X-Reality PRO, thanks for the correction on X-Reality PRO and Motionflow but, I didn't mention 'motionflow' in Picture Mode, it was 'LED Motion' and, I was expecting to see some reference to X-Reality PRO but, there was none.

Where can I find reference to' X-Reality PRO', where in the WE663 settings, can I find the options for this feature?

Ok, we also purchased a 65XE7003 and my query query with this new TV is also relevant.

Again, where can I find reference to X-Reality PRO, does it have to be enabled or, is it enabled by default and, where can I find the options for this feature?

* You mentioned  X-Reality PRO'upscaling video to Full HD and/or 4K, how do we know if upscaling is enabled and, where is it in the menu?  Does upscaling happen automatically?  Thank you for the 'link' to X-Reality PRO info; I will take a look!

* In 'Sound' settings, DD Plus is off, should it be enabled?  Also, when in 'sound', I could see all of the settings to the right but, when I pressed the right cursor, I was unable to adjust any of these settings, is this something to do with 'scene settings'?

Oh, by the way, like many customers who buy new TV's and, in particular, Sony, we pay a lot of cash for these TV's and I'm paranoid abuot getting a TV, that has been returned and then someone esle gets it.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because, with our new 40WE663, the box was fully taped and when we open it up, the 'quick start guide' was taped to the inside of the box top so that this is the first thing that the customer sees iis the quick start guide but, with our new 65XE7003 which has 4 clips to open the box, there was no 'quick start guide' inside the box?

I'm a bit fussy about TV makes and for the last 10 years or so, we have only purchased Sony TV's so, I know what to expect from Sony.

I'll look forward to your reply.

Thats it for now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am glad you have the Wi-Fi sorted out.  I cant explain why it didnt work one day, but then it did the other.  Could it be a Wi-Fi channel issue or lack of reception/black spot?  Dunno.

You are quite right - you did not mention MotionFlow.  I put 2 and 2 together and got 5 this time.  What I am meaning is that there have been a few posts last week in regards to MotionFlow, LED Motion mode and false advertising and assumed that was what you were meaning. 

X-Reality Pro is not just am image upscaler.  This is done automatically, otherwise when you play standard definition videos or TV broadcasts then the picture would be very small.  There is no settings for this.  What I forgot to mention which leads to your question on settings is that X-Reality Pro is also about improving an image/video through the use of 'Reality Creation' and Noise Reduction.  Basically this works through the use of a build in database of which the TV looks at to improve the image.  Instead of re-inventing the wheel, see this page HERE (and adapt to remove the 4K references). 

So how do you adjust these 'Reality Creation' settings.  It should be in the picture settings.

In regards to DD Plus, see:

DD Plus.jpg

In regards to the KD-65XE7003, you should have these in the box:

• TableTop Stand
  • Remote control + Batteries
  • AC Power Cord
  • Operating Instructions
  • Quick Setup Guide.

You can download the manuals from HERE.  So why didnt you get the quick setup guide?  Logical possibility is that is was not placed in the box during the manufacturing/boxing process.  Or the box was previously opened and not put back in again.  You can normally tell if the TV has been returned previously, such as the plastic covering bag is not on correctly or torn, box is warn and stuff like that.  Only the retailer you purchased it from could possibily answer that question.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Cheers :cowboy:

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus

Thanks for your further reply.

Yes I was referring to the topic I read in these forums yesterday, which concerned false advertising and, whether or not, the W6 series actually did have LED Motion instead of the X-Reality PRO feature that is printed on the TV box and in the 'Full spec' detailed on the Sony website and, of course, false advertising!

What was the overall result of the topic?

I'm still not convinced because Sony has made such a 'big deal' of Sony TV's that have the X-Reality PRO feature and this is well advertised by Sony whose customers want to see some reference to X-Reality PRO in the TV settings and, so far, Ilike many other customers, I cannot see any mention of it in the settings?

As stated in my last reply, Dolby Digital Plus is set to and I cant see any way to turn it on.

Also as mention earlier, in Sound, I can find no way to adjust the setting to the right!  It's not available.

With regard the "Quick Start & Setup Guide",  every TVin my house for te last 10 years has been a Sony TV and we have 4 Sony TV's so I'm well equipt to know what is put in the boxes as they go along the assembly line - the Quick Start Guide would not have been missed out for my 65XE7003.

Was my box opened?  Very possibly, that it was and, that'a my concern but, why was it opened?  My guess is that, as the larger Sony TV's have 4 clips to keep the top cover of the box firmly attached to the base, these boxes are easily opened and can be returned by customers who have had problems with the TV or, who are just unhappy with their purchase?

Unlike my Sony 40WE663 TV which was fully sealed, top and bottom, with wide band sellotape, straight from the factory and, when opened, only to find the "Quick Start and Setup Guide" on top.

One other thing I like confirmed and that is with regard to the Quick Start & Setup Guide which was missing from my box, I download a copy of the Quick Satrt Guide for my model, from the Sony website and it does clearly include the QSG but, it shows the power cable as coming in two parts consisting of a few feet of cable with a plug on the end and then a second part  consisting of a power block with a thinner cable which connects to the first part.  

My 65XE7003 only came with short 3 to 4 feet cable which has one end securely fixed to the TV and a 13A plug on the other end!

Can you please find out if I have the correct cable which is a "one piece" cable and plug or, should it be a "two (2) piece cable" as shown on the XE 7003 Quick Start & Setup Guide?

Sorry about asking all of these questions and unloading my concerns on you but, I hate the thought of paying out for a Sony TV that has already been sold, opened and returned with parts missing and then resold by a Sony reseller as a new TV!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Apologies for not responding sooner.

Question 1 - Sound

"* In 'Sound' settings, DD Plus is off, should it be enabled?  Also, when in 'sound', I could see all of the settings to the right but, when I pressed the right cursor, I was unable to adjust any of these settings, is this something to do with 'scene settings'?"

You are correct this is to do with the scene settings. According to page 13 of the WE663 manual HERE:

"When you select the desired scene option, the optimum picture and sound quality for selected scene are automatically set. The options you can select may vary. Unavailable options are greyed out"

Question 2 - X-Reality Pro

"Sony whose customers want to see some reference to X-Reality PRO in the TV settings and, so far, Ilike many other customers, I cannot see any mention of it in the settings?"

As mentioned above, X-Reality Pro covers a range of technologies, some automatic, some user defined.  You will see in the TV Picture settings 'Reality Creation'.  You should also have something like random noise reduction and digital noise reduction (on my Android TV) - these are part of the X-Reality Pro settings.

Question 3 - KD-65XE7003 Mains cable

"Can you please find out if I have the correct cable which is a "one piece" cable and plug or, should it be a "two (2) piece cable" as shown on the XE 7003 Quick Start & Setup Guide?"

I can confirm, only the one piece cable lead is needed.  I cannot see anywhere on the Quick Setup guide that its a two piece cable?  Specifications state 'AC Power Cord".  Going to a parts supplier, it only mentions mains cable (i.e. HERE)

Hope this helps

Cheers