Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40Z5800 Freesat tuner problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
cardinalred
Visitor

KDL-40Z5800 Freesat tuner problem

I have a mystifying problem with the Freesat tuner on my 10 month old KDL-40Z5800.

For the first 3 months or so Freesat was fine, I was able to receive all the channels including the HD channels.  But then soon after the TV prompted an upgrade in May I started losing channels intermittently. Initially it was True Movies & some others, but some days I would lose BBC channels, then the next day they would be OK again.  I tried retuning – some times I would get the channels back & other times not, but it gradually got worse to the extent that when I tried to retune the TV it would tell me that no satellite signal was being received.

I am currently unable to tune any channels via Freesat, but – if I retune using the DVB-S option rather than Freesat, it finds about 900 channels. 

The satellite feed comes from a dish/quad LNB with 2 of the other cables connected to a Panasonic DMR-BS850EB (HDD Blu-Ray recorder with twin Freesat tuners) in another room. I have had no problems with the Panasonic box, and have tried it with the satellite feed that is normally connected to the Sony TV & it is fine.

I have had a satellite engineer out to check the signal, and he confirmed that all cables from the dish were providing a strong signal. I have now had the TV checked by my local Sony service centre. Having checked that all software/firmware was up to date & OK & confirmed the Freesat tuner was working OK, they delivered the TV back, only to find I still had the same problem!

So apparently the signal is fine & the TV is fine, but I cannot tune any channels via Freesat.  What could the problem be?

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
thamesway
Visitor

I have an intermittent Satellite tuning issue with a KDL-40V5810 Bravia TV - I'd like to compare notes as intermittent issues are the most difficult to obtain service on.

Basically, it loses channels on the Satellite side. 50% of the time it has also lost the Favorites list too, the other 50% of the times, it manages to re-assign the tuned channels to the previously set up favorites after a rescan. Today for example, it semed to lose all channels numbered under, say 500, while retaining the rest.

Only a complete rescan, taking 40 mins, will restore the channels and then tediously need to reassign the favorites as I said, 50% of the time.

A standard Sky box connected to the same dish via the multi LNB meanwhile, never ever loses a channel even if a snowstorm cuts off the dish temporarily. As soon as the dish is working, all previously saved channels are still there on the Sky box. Not so sure about the Bravia.

I cannot tell if this issue on the Bravia is due to the dish having been temporarily out of signal or 'just so'. I suspect the latter.

I suggest any other Bravia owners please confirm observed symptoms, then we might get a solution.

Note: I use DVB mode, not Freesat mode on the Sat tuner.

Message was edited by: thamesway

Message was edited by: thamesway