Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-42W653A - Repeated HDD Registration Message

B0M0AK
Explorer

KDL-42W653A - Repeated HDD Registration Message

Hello. I am a new owner of the KDL-42W653A and am impressed with the picture and functionality, but the sound is lousy - I had to go out and purchase a soundbar to get decent sound.

However, as I come to terms with the new TV and figure out its functions there is one thing that continues to 'malfunction' and that's the attached USB HDD.

I have the Freeview HD component up and running and want to use an external HDD to record programs. I have attached a Crucial M500 SSD 240Gb drive and the system registered without any problems. I recorded a couple of test programs and playback was good. 

But every now and again I get a message saying that a registed HDD was detected and not to disconnect without following the proper deregistration process. I started to record a program this evening to test again and when I went to find the recording it told me that I would have to register an HDD before I could record to it. Strange as I had already come this and the device had been used previously.

When I see this on computers it is either due to a dodgy USB enclosure, or a power saving feature that has put the HDD to sleep. The other reason I sometimes see this is if the voltage to the external drive is too low.

Is this a known issue or had anyone posted an explanation of how to resolve this please?

Thank you in advance.

Firmware version of the TV is PKG4.001EUA

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

That SSD drive is an internal drive, and you have not explained how its connected.  But it is recommended that you use a powered external HDD (preferrably western digital).  Now, if you have it connected via a SATA to USB attachment, it needs to be powered, the same with an external enclosure.  This would also explain the "drop-outs".  However if you do have it powered.....

Cheers

B0M0AK
Explorer

Thank you for your reply. The Crucial M500 is connected using an external SATA enclosure. You are correct in your assumption that it is not currently drawing power from anywhere but the USB cable connected to the TV. The suggestion therefore is that the external drive is not getting enough voltage to function without "drop-outs"?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats my best guess - Yes.

Edit:

However an SSD is wasted in my oppinion on the TV, because its only using a USB2 port. 

B0M0AK
Explorer

That's an interesting observation. I had assumed that the inherently superior I/O of the SSD would make it ideal for shunting audio/video to an external storage device. I had also assumed that it would draw less power than a physical drive. Maybe I have just made too many assumptions here and expecting more from the TV than it is capable of giving (from a hardware perspective).

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you cannot get the data to or from the SSD at a fast enough face, the speed of the SSD (in term of read/write onto the flash memory) is wasted.  You might be familiar with the saying "you can only go as fast as the slowest part"

My assumption also of the lack of power may not be the problem, however I can only advise on what it "should" be.  

B0M0AK
Explorer

Gratitude for your help so far. I will source a power supply for the external drive and maybe revert to an older non-SSD for test purposes.