Join now - be part of our community!

KDL 46 problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybovill
Visitor

KDL 46 problem

I have a 4 year old KDL 46V4000. On switch on picture is very dark + right hand side is distorted / shadowy. Afte 10 mins distortion goes. After 15 mins pic lightens up. After 20 mins it's fine - any ideas?

Message was edited by: tonybovill

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Edited for personal details

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sounds like a hardware fault, maybe a backlight fault. You may want to contact an authorised Sony repair centre to get it fixed.

Cheers.

tonybovill
Visitor

Hi there, and many thanks for your suggestion - yes I too thought backlights re the darkeness which I gather may be fixed for £75 parts + labour - but it's the distortion / shadowing on the right 1/4 of the screen which worries me more, forif it needs a new screen it could well cost as much as a new TV !?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot about the distortion part. Unfortunately, without getting it properly diagnosed, its all guess work. However, If your looking for a justification on buying a new TV, well....I guess you have one. If you can hold out for a couple of months, from what I have read, the new 2013 range of Sony TV's are looking really good.

Bravia55HX

Hi,

thought i'd jump in here and present this link for you for your perusal, i've not read it in some time but it may or may not help you.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/120571

tonybovill
Visitor

Thanks again - Another respondent suggested I see www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/120571 it seems numerous customers have had similar problems with the V series.

It would appear that if I bring in a Sony engineer it'll cost an initial £65 and at best get an inferior replacement and be without a TV for several weeks. Sony themselves suggested I download the latest firmware up-grade, but I can't see how this will help as it's a screen hardware problem !? Also, to get at the USB port I'll have to take the TV off the wall !! If, as you suggest, wait a couple of months for the new range, what 46" model would you recommend and is it worth going for a 3G model - a quirky feature that I suspect will never take off !?

tonybovill
Visitor

Thanks for this - it seems Sony customers have had lots of similar problems with the V series as per my reply to Quinnicus above. If Sony is monitoring this:- "hey guys, I am a dedicated Sony fan - I have 4 TVs and a HiFi system - HELP ME !?"