KDL-46HX853 Screen Blanking on HD Broadcasts

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
RIchard-H
New

KDL-46HX853 Screen Blanking on HD Broadcasts

Hi after some advise before I call Sony for help

I bought a refurbished TV from the Sony Centre last Wednesday

After much testing all appears great except when we watched BBC HD the other day the screen turns black for a second or two before returning, same again tonight.

I was aware of the 1080p & 1080i switching saga on some makes but thought it had been cured by firmware updates

I had done lots of research and read lots of user reviews to see if the 10 out of 10 ratings most review sites had given the tv were backed up by user reviews

The only gripe seemed to be sound

There were no reports of this issue on any site I found despite a yahoo and google search

This happens on both BBC HD and ITV HD (not tried the other HD channels)

I pressed the info button and saw that the signal was switching between 1080p & 1080i as the picture blanked in the background

Reading the online guide troubleshooting it said that if you experience signal problems then change the setting from "Video optimized" to "Text & Graphics Optimized" (can't find the section in the internet version so far)

Surely this is a copout as I would expect "Text & Graphics Optimized" to be more suited to a PC input and "Video" to be more suited to watching TV or film

I switched it to "Text & Graphics" and now it seems to stay in 1080i and never go into 1080p (after watching 10 mins without any blanking)

Does anyone else have this problem and had to change modes or do I have a fault on the set ?

Signal strength is 58 and signal quality is 100

No problems with other SD TV's in the house and on the Sony SD stays at 570i with no blanking

But I can't see the point of getting a state of the art HD tv that struggles with 1080p (which apparently is the better of the two signals)

Advise Please ??

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bravia55HX

Hi,

cut a long story short, you sorted the switching problem and now its fine, as for your thinking on the 1080p well this is simple there are no broadcasts in 1080p the very best at the moment is 1080i, although your signal quality seems good i would have thought the strength would be on par too but thats no great shakes if your picture is fine.

Audio well......... i use an amp most of the time but if you press the audio button in quick succession you can change the sound somewhat there.

also you can tinker with the sound settings in options/sound and change the sound mode there.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Bravia55HX

Hi,

cut a long story short, you sorted the switching problem and now its fine, as for your thinking on the 1080p well this is simple there are no broadcasts in 1080p the very best at the moment is 1080i, although your signal quality seems good i would have thought the strength would be on par too but thats no great shakes if your picture is fine.

Audio well......... i use an amp most of the time but if you press the audio button in quick succession you can change the sound somewhat there.

also you can tinker with the sound settings in options/sound and change the sound mode there.

RIchard-H
New

Thanks for the reply

A bit strange that the info button shows brief periods of 1080p (but you say there are no 1080p broadcasts)

Anyway I am glad to report no more flickering

If 1080p ever does come along hopefully the TV is more than capable of coping with it