Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-47W805A 3D on part of the screen, but not all.

lee_cawley
Explorer

KDL-47W805A 3D on part of the screen, but not all.

I have the above mentioned set, and have noticed that in the top left corner of the screen, the 3D is not working properly. If you view through either lens, you always get both images. As you move down the screen, or to the right, the lenses begin to isolate the left and right views properly... as you can see from this image. Sorry about the quality, it's hard work trying to hold the glasses, and my phone, and press the shutter button on the phone, whilst trying to keep it all aligned. :slight_frown:

It means that 3D is unwatchable on the set, because it is ruined by the double images in that corner. I have tried multiple sets of the glasses that come with the TV, and they all show the same problem. Has anyone else had the same problem, and found a solution? Or does it seem like the panel is faulty?

Just for information purposes, the words in the corners and centre have their depth set in front of the viewing plane. The words "Behind" are set to be shown behind the viewing plane.

3D-problem.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
lee_cawley
Explorer

The horizontal viewing angles (for the screen in general) are not that great for an IPS panel, but vertically they're fine. Although in the normal viewing situation, you would probably never encounter the falloff horizontally. I presume that it is the polarisation used to separate the images that is affected vertically.

I did just consider this as a solution to the problem. I have no idea whether the back of the TV could handle the stress caused by the tilt though.

shim solution.jpg

I looked at what angle would be required to correct an 8 inch vertical shift over approximately 13 feet. It worked out about 3.3 degrees. A shim that fits between the set and the stand, at a slightly greater angle, i.e. 4 degrees in this case, would negate that effect. Over a 6 inch length, the plate would have to be about half an inch thick at the bottom to work.

This is where a 3D printer would be really useful, as I could model it in 3DS Max, and print it out to test it. It would probably need slightly longer screws at the bottom, so they would pass through the plate and then fit securely into the TV.

If I watch active 3D on my projector, I get no problems. If I watch passive 3D on something TV sized, I get no problems. If I watch active 3D on something TV/monitor sized, I get major headaches, and after 10 minutes, I have to turn it off.

We never had 3D while my wife was alive. She lost an eye as part of her surgery, and I would never put her in the situation where it felt insensitive to her condition. She was a huge Disney fan, and would have loved the Disney films in 3D too. :slight_frown:

I don't think you can force frame packed 3D into another format, which would mean all Blu-Ray or streamed 3D would still fail. Developing for over-under would be no different to side-by-side. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen any video in over-under format at all.