Join now - be part of our community!

kdl-49wd752 software

Nargone
Explorer

kdl-49wd752 software

I recently bought a kdl-49wd752 Sony Bravia TV. Quite disappointed with the software:

- There is no access to the Google Play Store.

- The Opera App store contains dozens of apps but they're all basically useless. All the top smart TV apps are missing. No Kodi, Spotify, VLC, BBC iPlayer or Mobile TV for example.

- The built-in media player is poor. I made a few tests, it can play only ~10% of the videos and music files I have.

- I tried to cast apps from my smartphone on the TV (in particular Mobile TV) but obtained error messages.

- The only good thing I can say is that at least, Netflix is working perfectly.

Is there any way to improve on the above? I tried to sideload apps by loading .apk files on a usb stick but it doesn't appear to be working.

Nowadays you'd really expect a new smart TV to have at least the same capabilities as a cheap smartphone.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am curious on whether you did any research or asked anyone of your requirements before purchasing the TV.  I always recommend this, as you will find a product that matches your requirements and that you are not disappointed after purchasing.

You purchased a TV that is not Android based, therefore there will be no Google Play Store.  Kodi is also only available on the Android based TVs.  You also cannot sideload Android based apps, because......

However iPlayer should be on the TV by default.  If it is not, the most common reason is that your IP address is not a UK based one (maybe you are using a SmartDNS or VPN ?).  Also ensure that you have installed the latest firmware.  Sometimes a reboot of your router can also help.

In regards to file support - see page 17 of the manual HERE.  There is a difference in codec support when playing files via USB to DLNA.

My personal opinion is that you have not purchased the correct model TV that suits your purposes.  You could contact the retailer and request a different model TV (Android based) and swap it (with the different in ££)?

Cheers

Nargone
Explorer

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did some research on Sony TVs but then I just assumed that all new Sony TVs were android TVs, which was obviously wrong.

I was indeed trying to play files through the home network as opposed to USB, which explains the low success rate.

The IP address is in Ireland, I assume that should work?

Is there any way, official or unofficial, to hack the TV to make it more useful? I'm currently using a Raspberry Pi to get access to Kodi. Works well, although annoying that I need to use additional hardware.

Returning the TV is indeed an option, however I've already thrown the packaging. I'll look into it.