Join now - be part of our community!

KDL 55hx923

Vorlon7
Explorer

KDL 55hx923

Bought this 2012 and now want to use for netflix but no joy Sony link from spec goes to http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/sony-entertainment-network which shows netflix also while i play and all the rest work no internet browser it goes to a sony loading screen but before any chance to log in goes to a blank white page.

Any ideas its not an old set and was not cheap so I expected it to be up to date, asked at Sony centre when I got it and was told it was internet enabled.

Tried following various instructions and device is reg with sony and video is enabled in account 

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately you are not going to like the Netflix answer.  Even though you model (KDL-55HX923) was still current/sold in 2012, it was also sold in 2011.  It is based on the 2011 specifications.  Your model TV, is the exception to the rule on Netflix on 2012 devices.

See FAQ

• What devices do have Netflix support?
    • All 2012 platform BRAVIA's, Blu-ray players, Blu-ray Home Theatre Kits and Google TV. For clarity, this does not include the BDP-S185 and HX923 BRAVIA's which although still retailed in 2012, are actually based on the 2011 platform. As a rough rule of thumb, if its available to currently purchase on the this website, then it should be compatible.

In regards to the brower, when you go into it, press [Options] on your remote, and choose "URL Entry", then simply type the web address you want to goto via the on-screen keyboard.  Using bookmarks can assist for quickness later on.

Hope that helps

Vorlon7
Explorer

That  is par for the course it seems it is still listed as may still be for sale by sony and the tv was bought late 2012 so its the old story like renault dauphines stored for months in fields before sale.

Dont know why the internet is duff though.

I have bought Sony top end products cinema amp blue ray tv etc for years replaceing the front line set every 24 months and they are not cheap but the quality and service has always been superb till now so you can be sure that reluctantly they will never be bought by me or my family or business again the lack of support for a tv that is so new is utterly disgusting and I will never again recommend a single product of theirs.

Vorlon7
Explorer

found this while hunting in the sony site

Identify NETFLIX compatible products: NETFLIX compatible "Internet TV" models can be identified by having the number 5 as the middle number within the TV's numeric model number, for example KDL-22EX553 or KDL-55HX853 etc, the same applies to compatible Blu-ray products but with the number 9 for example  BDP-S390 or BDV-E490 etc. This is how to identify Sony 2012 TV and Blu-ray products.  

They then have the cheek to suggest you can resolve this by buying a new tv  or blue ray player... thats what I did last year at least O2 when selling phones make it clear that this phone is not going to be 4g

Dont suppose they will be giving a cash back of a couple of grand for the "old" set ?

So the moral is check the serial number before buying an old stock new tv!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vorlon7 wrote:

So the moral is check the serial number before buying an old stock new tv!!!

As an alternative to that moral, I always advise people the following -

Always do your research fully before committing to a product, to ensure that you get the right product that suits your requirements and that you are not disappointed.

Aside for the netflix issue.  How do you find the rest of the TV, as im on the understanding that its very good.

Vorlon7
Explorer

I agree with research but having used the same sony shop for years I mistakenly took their advice and also as I said even now the Sony site shows it so that it appears to be up for netflix, theres a probably tucked in but as it comes straight from the tv spec internet page it is not clear and other sony announcements appeared to suggest it was going to be upgraded.

As far as the tv is, sound not an issue use a sony home cinema amp 7.1 picture is fine but I also got a much much cheaper non integeral wifi Sony at the same time and its just as good this beast was supposed have all the bells and whistles and be to be cutting edge, its not.

Its not particularly good with fast transitions particularly from blue ray and thats with a top end sony blue ray that also has internet and 3d and all but not Netflix!

I am not convinced that there was not an awareness that the tv wasnot going to be able to handle  the newer drm, if in fact that is the case not just a convenient excuse, when it was sold.

It will be interesting now that hacks are appearing for "linuxian" tv software if a hack appears to solve this

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im looking at the specifications now.  I cannot see anywhere it mentions Netflix - http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tv-139-55-lcd/kdl55hx923bu

Be careful to not look at the US specifications, as they will have Netflix, they have different DRM requirements to UK/EU (unfortunately).  I too have a 2011 TV, that does not support Netflix - I too was annoyed, but was not too inconvinienced because I have a PS3 which does support Netflix.

Also, any "hacks" to the TV, will void any warranties that you may have.

Vorlon7
Explorer

The link from "The best of the web on the big screen" on the page you link  to goes straight to a picture of the various available channels showing Netfliks  BBc i player etc and that is a Sony EU site not America but as i said there is a "probably" tucked in the text there which makes it all right. I have just banged together an old shuttle type linux pc out of my parts bin and now run xbmc which with an addon  gets me netflix and also makes it not needed anyway by the look  of whats on and the ability to stream. I have a 120  cable line and a 6e wired gig router so the quality is fine means an extra box and wireless keypad though which was rather the point of a smart tv.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, your right.  When you follow the link, it goes to a general webpage, with large logo's (ie Netflix)

/me slaps Sony for not having individual pages for different models