Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-55W805A Freeview Tuning Nightmare!!!

tanbir17

KDL-55W805A Freeview Tuning Nightmare!!!

I am having a nightmare getting freeview on my new tv. I have bought an arieal from ebay, I plugged it and did a quick scan, it picked up 34 and no HD channels. As I know I can get more channels (90 plus the HD ones) I tried another search and no channels were picked up. I have done countless searches, quick and full scan and I can no longer get any channels whatso ever. I then took ariel to my second telly and and did a full scan and it picked up 110 channels plus HD ones. I stuck it back to the new tv and again no channels.

Yesterday I bought a new ariel from Tesco One For All SV9125, and again the same, no channels whatso ever on full and quick scan but if I plugg to my second tv I get all the channels plus the HD ones.

I also tried the Normal and Full option for the digital tv under settings and that did not make any difference, however I am not sure what the options does as there is no info.

Can anyone recommend a solution or has my Tv gone faulty?

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.en_GB.title
gofrost

Is this an indoor aerial ? If it is this is your problem these are a last resort you need an external aerial and then you should be able to get all the freeview channels.

tanbir17

Yes indoor, becuase its a garage conversion and mobile phone signal is week I did think the aerial will be an issue.

But regardless, if one tv can pick up signal why cant the other, and if it worked the first time why couldn't work the second!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

You said it worked on another TV?  Did you bring the second TV to the aerial or the aerial to the second TV? 

Indoor aerials are prone to almost any type of interference, be it environmental (trees/brick walls etc) or electrical.

Cheers

tanbir17

I took the aerial to the second tv.

I am going to try and bring down the tv and try the tuning in the same room.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would leave the aerial where the second TV is then, and bring the new TV up to there.  Tune in the TV.  Then bring both aerial and TV to where they should be.  Then its just a matter (and patience) of finding the best placement of the aerial (as the TV is tuned in, its a matter of getting a picture then)

If that makes sense?

Personally though, I would throw indoor aerial out the window and arrange a visit with an aerial installer (on a do it once, do it right basis)  :slight_smile:

tanbir17

Thanks mate, it all makes sense. To be honest taking a 55" Tv to first floor not really an option. I will probably return the aerials and just run a cable from the wall socket (communal aerial) using a splitter.

Using a splitter , would that give me decent quality to the second tv?

I am getting 100% quality on youview box using the aerial running from the wall.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its hard to know.  As long as you get a strong signal, it should be ok with a splitter.  Best way to know is test it, as a splitter is only a couple of quid.

I use a splitter on my setup, One to the TV, and one to the PVR (works fine).  However I am doing it a "funny" way, by using a 3-way F-Type splitter with normal aerial adaptor connections.  (Ive had problems in the past, but this way works best for me)

tanbir17

Just to update everyone I have now identified my tv is faulty. I have come to this conclusion because I have moved my tv upstairs where the tv aerial wall socket is and I cannot still get any signal. I did a factory reset on the tv and still no luck. I did a quick and full scan and still not one channel was picked up. I also changed the digital tuning option from normal to full and also did quick and full scan for eeach option and still no channels.

The same aerial cable plugged from wall socket can easily pickup over 100 freeview channels including hd ones.

Please can anyone advise me what I should now do before I call back the retailer and claim for a replacement?

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for coming back.  Always nice to know how people get on.  Fancy that hey, it does sound like a faulty tuner.  Not heard of that in a brand new tv to be honest. 

Right getting it fixed - Many retailers have a 30 day policy window in regards to pure exchanges.  First port of call would be the retailer anyhow, and request a TV exchange - also tell them how you have come to the conclusion that its faulty.  All else fails, you can call Sony for a warranty fix.

Cheers