Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-55W805A Freeview Tuning Nightmare!!!

tanbir17

KDL-55W805A Freeview Tuning Nightmare!!!

I am having a nightmare getting freeview on my new tv. I have bought an arieal from ebay, I plugged it and did a quick scan, it picked up 34 and no HD channels. As I know I can get more channels (90 plus the HD ones) I tried another search and no channels were picked up. I have done countless searches, quick and full scan and I can no longer get any channels whatso ever. I then took ariel to my second telly and and did a full scan and it picked up 110 channels plus HD ones. I stuck it back to the new tv and again no channels.

Yesterday I bought a new ariel from Tesco One For All SV9125, and again the same, no channels whatso ever on full and quick scan but if I plugg to my second tv I get all the channels plus the HD ones.

I also tried the Normal and Full option for the digital tv under settings and that did not make any difference, however I am not sure what the options does as there is no info.

Can anyone recommend a solution or has my Tv gone faulty?

20 REPLIES 20
tanbir17

Thanks. Spoke to the technical team of the retailer. The tech guy thinks it could be the cable or location. In additon to above I also explained to him I have tried 3 different cable on the tv and also my freeview box, the box was able to pick up channels in less than 3 min but the tv was struggling to pick up any channels with the 10min of searching it does. The tech guy offers to send out an engineer as the he belives thats the quickest solution to the problem. However I declined that offer and requested a replacement, he eventually gave in and offered a replacement when more stock is due in on 26th Jan.

Will update you again when the replacement arrives, fingers crossed the fault is not repeated otherwise will have to look at a different brand!

tanbir17

Had the replacement TV delivered, the tv was able to pick freeview channels however it was unable pick up any of the HD channels. The delivery guy was suggesting the tv needs a booster! I said to him the cheap freeview box was able to pick up the 4 HD channels but the £1k tv struggling to pick up any. He was adamant the new tv needed a booster.

Can some please instruct me step by step on how to set the digital tuning on the TV and if there is other settings that need adjusting for the tuning to pick up hd channels.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Bloody hell, you really are having a problem arnt you !

HD Channels, there is absolutely no reason why you should not pick them up on this TV.  However your freeview transmitter you are connected to, "may" be having problems.

Check this map here:

http://www.ukfree.tv/txlisteng.php

or alternatively add your postcode at the side and see if there are any local issues reported?

*Note: this is assuming that you havnt tried another device (ie cheap freeview box) on the aerial recently.

Cheers

tanbir17

I put my post code in and there are no issues. I re-tuned me youview box and picked all the channels including the HD one without any issues.

Is there I can transfer the aerial signal from the youview box to the TV so I can share the signal/channels? The youview box does have a aerial out port, what is this and any good for me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The aerial out is just a loopback.  It will not share the tuned in channels on the youview box. 

Can i also assume that you have tried tuning it in with the aerial connected directly to the TV (ie not via Youview)?

A couple of things:

• You could use the Youviews Tuner all the time, by-passing the TV's tuner - but would require you to turn on YouView box everytime you want to watch TV
  • Try a signal booster (cant hurt?)
  • Have you tried manually tuning those HD channels in?  See : HERE

Other than that, I dont have any more advice at this stage.  You could try contacting Sony Support, or even DigitalUK (from link above).

Cheers.

tanbir17

Yeah, used the aerial directly plugged into the tv and no luck with hd channels.

When the aerial is plugged into the youview box, can I not use a second aerial cable plug one end into the aerial out on the youview box and the other end plugged into the aerial in port of the tv and will that not send the aerial signal to the tv which I can tuning and watch tv without having the youview box switched on?

Anonymous
Not applicable

From my understanding the Aerial Loopthough is OFF by default on the YouView boxes.  You need to enable it, by going to Settings > Device Management and enable RF Loopthrough (I think). 

This will enable the signal to by-pass the YouView box and onto the TV (its a single aerial cable solution, instead of a 2 cable/splitter). 

However, if you arent getting the HD channels when the aerial is directly connected to the TV, its doubtful it will pick them up this way. It may give a slight amplification of the signal, or it might degrade the signal further.  Only way to know, it to test it :slight_smile:

tanbir17

Took your advice and visited the digital tv website. It said there was an update to the freeview channels. I just switched on youview box and none of the hd channels were broadcasting. I did a retune on the box and no hd channels were picking up the same result as my replacement tv.

Now I'm confused, it looks like the tv is fine it might just be the broadcasting in my area. Its strange the hd channels dissappeared only today but yesterday it was fine 😕

Any advice?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advise to post a message/comment on the UK Free website - Find your transmitter, and in that there is a should be a huge list of messages/comments (like a twitter/forum feed).

Also you might see if others on your transmitter are having the same problems

http://www.ukfree.tv

For me, im on the Oxford transmitter, and it looks like :

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SP567105&PGSTART=1420#commentstart

Another idea is to go round to your neighbours (if your friendly with them that is), ask if their HD channels are working, if so, what type of signal strength and quality are they getting?

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just adding this to the thread - it may or may not be your issue, but seeing that the weather is causing its share of problems...

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/02/storm-affects-uk-tv-and-radio-reception.html