Join now - be part of our community!

KDL26 brightness issue

profile.country.it_IT.title
Andrea76
Visitor

KDL26 brightness issue

Hi to all!

I've a  Sony Bravia KDL26EXS02AE and sometimes when I'm watching tv I see the brightness falling down to a very low level. This happens in particular wen I'm using the 4:3 format or if the lateral letter box are present.

Do you know how to solve (maybe there is some strange configuration to do) or should I ask Sony to fix it?

Thank you,

Andrea

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.it_IT.title
Andrea76
Visitor

I hope someonoe can help us!

Andrea

profile.country.de_DE.title
blobbel
Visitor

hello everybody,

I have a quite new KDL-32BX300 and I experience this problem for quite a while now.

First of all, from Sony Support I was getting no help at all. For me it seems, that Sony

is not interested in discussing this point. Beyond that it seems that they are not willing

to solve the problem, which they could I believe with a firmware update.

They even refuse to acknowledge a technical failure and call it an intended feature,

which is pure nonsense.

This problem is sometimes referred to as 'auto dimming' . Under these key words I found

a few - but not many -  interesting threads in this forum. So I don't know how widespread

this problem is. For me it seems that most people aren't aware of the problem because

they use their tv only in 16:9 mode which is flawless.

The problem is only occurring in 4:3 mode and only in dark scenes. For example you are

watching a  show of X-Files on DVD, which is  4:3 format, and a dark scene is displayed

(which is by the way quite often the case). After a few few seconds the brightness level

is dimming down automatically. When the scene gets eventually brighter again, the brightness

level goes up to normal again according to that.

When the brightness is dimmed down you can hardly see anything at all on the screen.

It's very annoying and watching a film with many dark scenes is impossible.

Because I am convinced this is a serious technical issue (faulty software programming issue which is

maybe inherent to many if not all sony tvs) I am considering legal action by returning in to sony and getting

money back because of technical insufficiancy (stepdown from contract).

profile.country.nl_NL.title
jmellus
Visitor

Hello Blobbel and Andrea.

A few months ago I began using a CAM-module instead of a traditional decoder, and since then the problem that I wrote to you about has COMPLETELY vanished...

Helpful I hope,

Jmellus.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
jmellus
Visitor

Hello Andrea.

Recently I have bought a Sony Bravia KDL26EX302 lcd-tv, and I experience the same problem.

With me the problem seems to occur only, when the overall brightness of the screen is already quite low.

I have been searching for some cause or configuration which could explain or resolve the problem (if only to be sure that it will not progress), but so far I have not been very succesfull.

Of course the fact that we seem to experience the same problem, might indicate that our tv's are not incidentally flawed (that's something).

I let you know, you let me know ?

Good luck.

Jmellus.

profile.country.uk_UA.title
AndreyBo
Visitor

I use my EX302 witn a CAM-module from the very beginning (end of 2010), and I continue facing the dimming issue with any of firmware updates I applied.

Neither change of video settings helps. This is really manafacturer's failure. I could hardly expect to find such problem in a thing made by Sony. But times change...unfortunately.