Join now - be part of our community!

KDL42W653a - Motionflow setting disappeared!

SOLVED
adam_cr

KDL42W653a - Motionflow setting disappeared!

HELP!

I bought myself a KDL42W653a last week and, initially, was very impressed. The first night I popped on a DVD, fiddled with the settings and found one for 'motionflow' which made the display look super fluid. At the same time, I also changed a setting for audio delay (in ms) because the audio became slightly out of sync with the picture.

Since that night, however, both options have disappeared. The image played from the DVD player is now back to 'normal' and absolutely nothing I change can get the 'motionflow' setting back. I've noticed that a number of people on the net have asked why the motionflow setting is not included on this model (despite it being a Motionflow "00hz TV!) but trust me, IT WAS THERE! It made a wonderful difference to the quality of films and now I'm pretty annoyed that it has gone. Has an erroneous system update since the night I plugged in the TV perhaps removed the option?

If anyone could help me I'd be really grateful... including Sony officials. 

148 REPLIES 148
stealthinde

Great article Chris, thanks for the link!

I would really don't mind if the MotionFlow engine would be activated manually or automatically, but right now I have not experienced it yet; tried every scene possible (I left then on AUTO too, pretty much always GENERAL), every possibile setting, there is not, never, 200Hz motion.

stealthinde

Let's look at what Sony says about MotionFlow.

Motionflow 200Hz delivers four times the number of frames per second as conventional 50Hz television, meaning even fast-moving action is sharp and clear.

Ok, "frame creation". Now, from the article Chris posted.

The KDL42W653A is advertised by Sony as featuring Motionflow XR 200Hz, but it’s important to understand that this is simply a figure for marketing purposes (similar to Samsung’s Clear Motion Rate or LG’s TruMotion), rather than the true refresh rate of the TV. Running our reference motion resolution test pattern (Chapter 31 in the FPD Benchmark Software disc) on the Bravia W65 returned a result of 300 which is what we would expect natively from an LCD panel without the help of MCFI (motion-compensated frame interpolation).

.. and then ..

While we’re at it, we ran our custom “motion interpolation checker” pattern on the KDL42W653A, and verified that no forced motion interpolation took place in any of the [Scene Select] presets. Having no MCFI forcibly applied is particularly relevant for the [Cinema] mode which is our picture preset of choice for critical viewing – the last thing we want is for the cinematic quality of 24fps movies to be subverted by ugly soap opera effect. 

There is NO frame creation in our W6, Sony, quick! Thanks.

stealthinde

News from Sony.

Thank you for your reply. With regard to the Motion Flow issue that we have on the TV, I would like to inform you that we will be investigating this issue till we get to a satisfactory conclusion. Therefore, I would appreciate it if you confirm that you checked all settings already and got no difference.

I await your reply with anticipation.

Just replied.

I confirm you that I have tried every scene, every setting, I just can't see the difference (the motion looks exactly like my old 50Hz LCD HD Ready, Samsung).

I mean, I think I should see any difference watching HD Soccer, Football, Movies or whatever.

.. and I am not the only one looking at your forum.

I really appreciate that finally someone tells me that there will be investigations on the issue.

Although a simple switch for MotionFlow would be great, I think that having it automatically switched on when necessary would be great too.

Something's movin'? .. don't know

stealthinde

Hey! Who checked this thread as SOLVED?!

profile.country.RO.title
cikyu99
Explorer

why did u check this threat as solved???? what s solved? that we took a TV with no motionflow setting despite it has 200 hz motionflow????????????????????

stealthinde

News.

Thank you for our reply and I appreciate the valuable information that you have just provided us with. As promised, we are currently investigating this case using all the information that we have on the case to provide you with a satisfactory solution.

On the other hand, I would appreciate your patience as this process takes time and make sure that I will be keeping you informed with updates in the next 48 hours.

First step, thanks Sony.

I will keep you up-to-date.

profile.country.GB.title
CHRIS1066

stealthinde

M'key :rolling_eyes:

Thank you for your patience. With regard to the Motion Flow issue, I am afraid that the case is still under investigation. On the other hand, we are working o this case so provide you with the most accurate answer regarding this query.

I appreciate your kind patience and understanding.

profile.country.UA.title
viverra

New Firmware PKG4.201EUA, but no any good news 😞

stealthinde

Thank you for your patience. As you know I am personally following up on your case as we always try to make sure that the issues experienced by valued customers are resolved with priority. I am still waiting for the outcome of the investigations that we are currently running to get the issue resolved.