Join now - be part of our community!

KDL42W653a - Motionflow setting disappeared!

SOLVED
adam_cr

KDL42W653a - Motionflow setting disappeared!

HELP!

I bought myself a KDL42W653a last week and, initially, was very impressed. The first night I popped on a DVD, fiddled with the settings and found one for 'motionflow' which made the display look super fluid. At the same time, I also changed a setting for audio delay (in ms) because the audio became slightly out of sync with the picture.

Since that night, however, both options have disappeared. The image played from the DVD player is now back to 'normal' and absolutely nothing I change can get the 'motionflow' setting back. I've noticed that a number of people on the net have asked why the motionflow setting is not included on this model (despite it being a Motionflow "00hz TV!) but trust me, IT WAS THERE! It made a wonderful difference to the quality of films and now I'm pretty annoyed that it has gone. Has an erroneous system update since the night I plugged in the TV perhaps removed the option?

If anyone could help me I'd be really grateful... including Sony officials. 

148 REPLIES 148
stealthinde

Well, these are simple confirmations that we are just right.

Sony? We are waiting.

profile.country.IT.title
Manuel890

sony will not do anything the only solution is to remember their next purchase, and inform their behavior everywhere ..

profile.country.GB.title
CHRIS1066

Hi, I have been following this debate with interest. I noticed if you go to "Picture- Advanced settings" next to "LED Motion Mode" the software switching for Motionflow setting has been greyed out. This I think proves the Firmware has this ability to give control if Sony wished to release it................Interesting!!

stealthinde

Hi Chris! Welcome to the discussion.

"LED Motion" is actually not comparable to "MotionFlow".

"MotionFlow"
The MotionFlow engine creates 3 frames between regular ones (on 50Hz signal) to make the vision more fluid.
=> http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/lcd-television/latest/article/id/1237479625322

To be clear, this kind of engine is the one that if set to max provides "soap opera effect" to the images, really (in some cases too much) fluid.

"LED Motion" is a black frame insertion technology witch inserts black frames to prevent motion blur.

I actually can activate "LED Motion" on my W653 but it is pretty useless: the backlight drops a lot and you can see an annoying screen flickering.

What we do not have is "MotionFlow", the ability to let the engine create new frames providing fluid images.
Sony says that it is activated automatically when needed, but they are just fooling us, we would be able to see that.

profile.country.GB.title
CHRIS1066

Hi Stealthinde, with respect I think you may have mis-read my note i wrote the "Motionflow" setting is greyed out. This I think shows the firmware has the ability to control but has been deactivated.

The LED motion setting does seem rather useless, as you mention it only seems to produce a dull flickering picture. I would like to know if this setting has any useful purpose? :thinking:

necrocrypt

Hi Chris. I too assumed you meant LED motion as there is no option named Motionflow, greyed out or otherwise, on my W6. This is getting more interesting by the day, ha ha.

stealthinde

Hi Chris, do you have a "MotionFlow" switch? I don't (I own a KDL42W653A).
It seems that it has been removed with one of the first firmware updates.
SuB-Zer0
Explorer

Hey Chris,

what Firmware Version are your running? Is it the latest (PKG4.101EUA)?

Could you please make a photo from that greyed out setting?

Thanks 😃

Mikey86uk
Explorer

Was going to say, although its clearly stated on the Sony website and everywhere else, was it ever an option on the TV?

Just going to have to put up with it i guess. 

This was my first and possibly last Sony TV i buy. 

Shame really. 

profile.country.GB.title
CHRIS1066

Hi, I have just checked settings, the firmware is ver. PKG4.101EUA

I have the LED Motion Mode turned OFF, but just above this setting is another setting which has been greyed out called Display Speed Preference. I assumed this was the adjustment for the Motionflow Mode. If I have misled everybody then I apologise, I have always thought this is the same thing.

If anyone knows what LED Motion Mode actually does it would be interesting to know.