Join now - be part of our community!

KDL42W653a - Motionflow setting disappeared!

SOLVED
adam_cr

KDL42W653a - Motionflow setting disappeared!

HELP!

I bought myself a KDL42W653a last week and, initially, was very impressed. The first night I popped on a DVD, fiddled with the settings and found one for 'motionflow' which made the display look super fluid. At the same time, I also changed a setting for audio delay (in ms) because the audio became slightly out of sync with the picture.

Since that night, however, both options have disappeared. The image played from the DVD player is now back to 'normal' and absolutely nothing I change can get the 'motionflow' setting back. I've noticed that a number of people on the net have asked why the motionflow setting is not included on this model (despite it being a Motionflow "00hz TV!) but trust me, IT WAS THERE! It made a wonderful difference to the quality of films and now I'm pretty annoyed that it has gone. Has an erroneous system update since the night I plugged in the TV perhaps removed the option?

If anyone could help me I'd be really grateful... including Sony officials. 

148 REPLIES 148
Mikey86uk
Explorer

What is "Display Speed Preference" ? 

Also grayed out on my TV. 

[Display Speed Preference]: Reduces the picture delay to optimise the response to game controllers/PC mouse operation by selecting [On].

Nothing similar to Motionflow.

stealthinde

Whoa! Did not see that!
Useless, but hey, at least we know that Sony is able to add switches! :slight_smile:

SONY! C'mon!! Make us finally happy!
profile.country.RO.title
cikyu99
Explorer

C mon sony i need that swich for motionflow the tv is not as good as sony trinitron that i have for 14 years ONLY 50 HZ

profile.country.RO.title
cikyu99
Explorer

I think this tv model is only 50hz/100hz with LED MOTION MODE put ON IT DOESNT HAVE A 200HZ MOTIONFLOW
profile.country.GB.title
CHRIS1066

Hi, cikyu99 you mentioned your old Trinitron CRT television was smoother. Most domestic CRT sets looked smoother due to the TV cathode ray tube having interlace and a persistance to the phospher coated screen.

The screen definition may not have been so high but movement would appear more fluid with less flicker even with only 50Hz field refresh time. LCD screens normally do not have this characteristic so require this much higher refresh time

P.S. Just to reminisce, the Sony Trintron TV`s pictures were rated as some of the very best available and often used as broadcast monitor standards.

stealthinde

I have just received a mail from tech support (again), same things, I am starting to feel fooled around.

The W6 series does not have Motionflow settings. In these models the Motionflow settings are set automatically based on the scene selection. The Motionflow is always on and cannot be switched off however; the Motionflow is disabled on this series when Scene Select is set either to Photo, Game or Graphics mode.
(copy/paste of the last mail I have received)

My reply.

Hi and thanks for the reply.
You can keep telling the same things, but as a matter of fact I actually NEVER experience fluid motion comparable to 200Hz, tried every possible setting.
So, please, stop fooling with us customers and enable what we have paid for.
Thanks.

I mean, this TV clearly never goes 200Hz in automatic or whatever mode.

Is it clear or it is just me?!

necrocrypt

Maybe i'm being naive but if motionflow is alway on, wouldn't we be stuck with the soap opera effect all the time? Or has Sony managed to eradicate it with their magical trickery?
profile.country.RO.title
cikyu99
Explorer

All w6 models do not have 200hz motionflow  its a 50 hz or 100hz with led motion plus on, sony made a fake advertising, or is a market strategy. Strange my w650a model say s it has an AUO panel with 120hz i looked on panellook.com

profile.country.GB.title
CHRIS1066

I have just been reading this article which may be of interest, apologies if it`s been posted before. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm I believe Samsung also make a statement regarding their version of Motion control which can be misconstrued. I have always thought the Scene Mode switched it automatically, mine is left on Auto for TV viewing, It displays a short notice stating it has switched modes from one type of program to another.