Join now - be part of our community!

KE-42TS2E TV losing input

jjw_14
New

KE-42TS2E TV losing input

Hi,

I've been having this problem for a while now, whereby the T.V will flicker randomly (loses picture and regains picture) for a period (say 10 mins, although it varies) although it is fine before this happens and after.

Here is a video exactly what happens:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1nnp8y_vid-20140331-00020_shortfilms

It's connected to a Sky + HD box and nothing else is connected. I've had a new box recently and have tried changing the scart cable.

I'm sure there are certain channels that appear to trigger it off, like ITV or a movie channel.

Thanks to any help in advance :slight_smile:

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for the Vid (does make it a little easier to understand).

The "No Sync" message basically means that the TV is struggling to see the Sky box.  This could be due to 1 or more of 3 reasons:

1. Faulty Scart Cable - Replace it with a new/better one
  2. Fault SCART port on the TV - Try using another SCART port on the TV or even use the composite cables instead (as in Yellow/Red/White cables with RCA connectors)
  3. Faulty SCART port on Sky box - You said that you changed Sky boxes recently, was this problem present on the other box - you might have a faulty sky box - or try using the composite cables as suggested above.

Hope that assists.

Cheers

jjw_14
New

Hi, thanks for taking the time out to reply!

Whilst the T.V is presenting the issue I have tried:

- Trying the SCART in all 3 of the ports on the T.V (the AV3 port is labelled SMARTLINK on the back of the T.V)

- Trying 3 different SCART cables

However the T.V continued to flicker regardless of the port/cable used.

The issue has persisted on both the old and new Sky Box.

It's strange because it does this flickering for about 10 minutes, however it is completley fine before that and after for the rest of the evening!

Any ideas?

I will attempt to see if I can find/purchase a Yellow/Red/White cable and try a connection using this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Yes definately try the "composite" cables - the Yellow/Red/White RCA connectors.  Im assuming that both the TV and Sky box have these supported.  Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers

jjw_14
New

Hi,

I tried a connection using the Yellow/Red/White connectors however the problem persists :slight_frown:

I think it might be something to do with this "SMARTLINK" feature that's built into the T.V, as I've noticed that sometimes when the screen flickers from Sky to the black screen, it comes up with a box at the bottom very briefly titled "SMARTLINK" and it within the box it says "Sending Channels               00". It appears and disappears within a second.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rats - in relation to the composite cable - thought that would work.

SmartLink is a term used by Sony to refer to the more generic "AV.Link" which is ONLY used on SCART cables.  You need 2 compatible SCART devices plus a fully-wired 21 pin SCART cable.

Now if the issue is with SmartLink - this does not explain why it didnt work with the composite cables (assuming that you removed the SCART cable, that is) - You should have connected the composite cable to AV4 (the top RCA inputs)

I have had a look at the TV's manual, there is no way to disable SmartLink - Unless You can disable it on the Sky Box??

Is your SCART cable a "Fully Wired 21 Pin SCART Cable" - if not, get one and see how it goes.

I do not know what "Sending Channels        00" is to be honest. 

Other than that, I am at a loss on what else to advise you to be honest.  In the market for a new TV!!?

(On a side note, If you are paying for the HD package from Sky, you are ONLY getting SD resolution via SCART or composte cables, so....)