Join now - be part of our community!

MotionFlow on Model KDL-46R473A

baconuk
Explorer

MotionFlow on Model KDL-46R473A

Hi!

I was wondering if someone could tell me where the motionflow settings are on model KDL-46R473A

I've searched through all the menus and can't find any mention of motionflow

I have found a film mode option and I have two options, either AUTO or OFF

After reading the manual it doesnt seem very clear which option is actually doing any frame interpoloation? 

From the manual:

Provides improved picture movement when playing DVD or VCR images
taken on film, reducing picture blur and graininess.
“Auto”: Provides the original film-based content as is.
“Off”: Turns off the “Film Mode” feature.

I read this as

Auto: "original film-based content as is" = no motionflow

Off: = "Turns off film mode" = also no motionflow then?

Maybe it's not worded very well in the manual or I'm not reading it right but if someone could clarify that would be great! :grin:

Thanks

John

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi baconuk,

there are huge discussions about motionflow availability on W6 range televisions and I don't really think the R4 have a 100hz panel and motionflow (frame interpolation). I believe it starts with the W8 range.

Regarding what you read in the manual, it's a different think: film mode adjust the frame speed displayed in your tv from the standard 25p of the TV to the 24p (so 1 frame less for each second) that is used in cinema. In this way you see the film at the actual speed for which it was meant by the director. No motionflow involved.

baconuk
Explorer

Hi rooobb,

Thanks for the reply. :slight_smile:

I can't help feel misinformed reference Sony's marketing, It's in fact a 50hz panel with no motion smoothing processing whatsover apart from the "Motionflow 100 XR" which basically imitates 100hz. There was no reference of the true refresh rate of the panel before purchasing 😞

I've also found out Motionflow doesn't actually mean motion smoothing either, it can mean perceived refresh rates, motion smoothing or any number of image processing and effects 😕

It's all very confusing, and I've now purchased a TV which hasn't got the features I felt was advertised

But thanks again for clearing the whole Film Mode setting up :slight_smile:

stealthinde

Hi everyone! We are talking about this issue HERE! Come join us! :wink: