Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix not working

SOLVED
macgers77
New

Netflix not working

I have just purchased a new Sony KDL-46W905A today.  I cannot get the Netflix app to connect.  I click on app and it gives me error NW4-8.  I have been in contact with Netflix and they can't even sort it.  Internet is fine - just can't connect to Netflix servers.  Has anyone any ideas it's driving me nuts

178 REPLIES 178
profile.country.GB.title
bw444976

Just had another update from customer support asking me to try the following

Thank you for your recent email.

In regards to your issue, please provide us with a screen shot of the result of location check provided by Akamai http://www4.akamai.com/html/technology/products/personalization.html.

When checked(Date/Time):

Also, please try to use a wired connection with your Sony TV and confirm with us if it will work fine or not and if there is any error messages appears on the screen.

I await your response with keen interest. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Yours sincerely

This is the third time i now have had to send them the info that I have tried

Wireless Connections

Wired connection via powerline adaptor

and Direct ethernet into my router

ALL FAILED!!!

profile.country.GB.title
bw444976

Lets start the twitter comments

#sonydoesnotcare #NoNetflixOnSonyBravia

Copy in @SonyUK @Whathifi @BBCWatchdog

Hopefully they can apply a little pressure

Ive used the hashtags and copied in sony, netflix, whathifi and watchdog! Im sick of being given links to useless advice pages and testing the connection! Here is some advice Sony ...... its clearly not my internet connection! Please use your energy elsewhere.
profile.country.GB.title
bw444976

Favourited and retweeted.

Cptbart
Explorer

Just to let you know, here in Holland I have the same problem on this particular model (bought last week). I've called Sony and Netflix but nobody has a clue. I'm still waiting for a response from sony as they promised to get back to me last friday... However the customer service mentioned they haven't had any complaints yet in Holland. I can't imagine I'm the only one though.
soupladel
New

Well, I have just boguht a 55W905 as a replacement to a Samsung TV which had developed a fault just days in.  The first thing i tried once it was all set up was netflix and i actually got a page telling me about some premiums service needed to be registered.

Unfortunately i didnt pay too much heed to this message as i thought, i will come back to that later, i have now jus t tried netflix again and the same message no longer comes up, i just get the same nw-4-8 error that everyone else is getting.

Is it likely the problem is all down to the device and netflix not being registered to one another?

I have tried the Amazon Prime app and it works fine (after registration) as do all other apps, including the Sony onces.  As with everyone else, I can access Netflix fine from my PS4 and Samsung Bluray player, just not fromt he TV and at the end of the day after having just gone through the hassle of replacing a faulty sammy, i am not in a rush to take this TV back, but I would like to have the convenience of accessing Netflix from the tv rather than having to switch on another device for this.

Grrrrr

I am tweeting everyday. To Sony netflix watchdog and whathifi ! With the #'s above. I have even just added he CEO to my tweets his name is Kaz Hirai. Sony have just asked all senior managers to pay back their bonuses amid a huge trading loss announcement! Is there any wonder with customer service like this and defective products!! Add me on Twitter and support the protest @531thompson

CeeGeeEss

Friday was two weeks since I last heard from Sony. I e-mailed on Friday lunchtime asking for an update. Nothing yet (as in, no response from Sony to my e-mail).

profile.country.GB.title
bw444976

I think they are struggling to fix this so hoping we will go away
profile.country.en_GB.title
pmclaughlin
Explorer

Reading through the comments, I was expecting someone to mention disabling wi-fi direct (and screen mirroring/bluetooth) to rule out any chance of netflix server tests being accidentally DNS routed over the wrong NIC(network interface card) in the TV that don't have their own outbound connection to route internet traffic; but I didn't see it mentioned, while quickly scanning all 10 pages of the thread.

Has anyone disabled these features after following a factory reset? As I'm pretty sure the answer to the problem lies in the number of NICs, the TV's internal wi-fi direct router and the netflix app showing the server ip addresses as unreachable despite the internet connection confirmed to be working.

Despite the latest Sony Tvs having a wealth of connectivity options that are great, when everything just works. The downside is that it makes for an even more complex situation when trying to isolate something like a traffic routing issue problem with a specific app like this.