Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix-problem on a KDL-40HX855

profile.country.fi_FI.title
skopan66
Visitor

Netflix-problem on a KDL-40HX855

I have just bought my new SONY BRAVIA KDL-40HX855, manufactured 9/2012, and can´t get access to Netflix. When i choose that app on the television it tells me "a network problem has occured".

I have tested with both wireless and wired network connection and no one works. I have tested to factory reset the television several times without any changes. If I test other apps, such as YouTube, there is no problem att all to surf on the televiosion. That means that my network seems to work OK.

I have also tested to update the software in the televesion, but I received a message that said that I already had the latest version. Does anyone know if it is possible for me to "force" the same software version into the television again, just to see if it works better with a new instalation?

I bought my television in Sweden but I'm using it on the Åland Islands that belongs to Finland. My domain is .ax, but my friend that just bought a Samsung Smart-TV has no problems with Netflix, and he has exactly the same neetwork connection.

Does anyone have any solution for me???

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

I'd check with your ISP ( are you using the same ISP as your friend) aas it may be its allocating you an incorrect IP address thus Netflix is geofiltering you. Maybe just get them to reset your connection? Do post back though as would be interested to hear the answer.

Thanks

skopan66
Visitor

Hi Catmambo,

I think I understand what you mean, but I don't understand you anyway :dizzy:

But I think that you are pointing at one difference between me and my friend. He bought his TV from Finland and I bought my from Sweden. And as I wrote earlier, we belong to Finland.

But then I wonder in what way Netflix is installed in the TV. Do they use one kind of settings for swedish televisions and one kind of settings for finnish televisions, or how come that it refuses to accept my finnish connection? And how will it help if my ISP (it is the same ISP as my friend has) reset my connenction? Or do I misunderstand you? (As you can see I'm not a guru how computers and IP addresses works :smileywink:)

Isn't the problem with the app in my television in that case?

If the Netflix app is installed for use in Sweden, and then geofiltering me and discover that I'm in Finland, and the app does not accept an IP-address from Finland, then it seems that I should have a Netflix app installed for use in Finland into my TV. But how can I get that app reinstalled for use in Finland?

Does anyone know if the Netflix app really are "country specific"? Or can it be something else that is the problem?

Thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

There is one Netflix app for all countries as far as I know, just the content is localised based on the IP address that is given to you by your ISP - you can see yours here - http://www.spyber.com/ What can happen is that this IP address is incorrectly identifying you as being in another country, ( ISP can buy blocks of IP address from old defunct ISPs which could have been somewhere else in the world is my understanding) thus they are geofiltered incorrectly. This eventually flushes through, but you can force refresh a new ISP by calling your ISP and getting them to remotely reset your connection. This should fix it I think.

You've done all the regular troubleshooting like factory reset & firmware upgrade, so for me this is almost certainly a network geofiltering issue, which your ISP should be able to fix. Could also try unplugging your router from the mains for a few mins and then reconnecting it to see if that makes a difference, but certainly getting your ISP to reset your connection should resolve.

Hope this helps..

Thanks

skopan66
Visitor

Hi

I will see what happens...

I received an answer from SONY Sweden Support, and they couldn't do anything about this problem and had no idea neither what the problem could be, so they asked me to contact Netflix support.

So I have done, and they really tried to help me. At the end they told me to
get in contact with SONY Finland Support as my TV is registered on their site.
As a reason they told me that my TV connects to a SONY site in Finland first and then redirected to Netflix from there. They thought that it could be something with the configuration of the TV as it was bought in Sweden, and told me that SONY Finland could help me to reconfigure the TV for use in Finland. I hope that they are right...

So at the end it seems that the Netflix support and you are on the same line... almost at least.

But I will contact my ISP tomorrow as well and see what they can do for me while I'm waiting for the answer from SONY Finland Support (I hope that they can write the answer in English or Swedish as I can't speak Finnsh) :)

Thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Not entirely true - all TV's connect to a central server in US (or at least they did). Based on the geo-ip, they are then sent a list of available service - e.g. Netflix, Youtube etc, but these are always determined by your Ip address. Once your TV has the list then you select Netflix icon and the TV hands you directly over to their servers. So this is my point, if the geo IP address is pointing somehere else, then the TV will refuse to connect to Netflix.

Factory reseting does just that, return it to scratch, but if the geo IP address hasn't changed then it will have the same problem. Thus I'm 99% sure the issue is with the ISP.

thanks

skopan66
Visitor

Hi,

If it works like you say (and I have no reason to not believe you) and I understand you right, then I start to think like this:

If my TV connects to a SEN-server in US, the server will receive a Finnish IP-address. Then the server should return a list of services that are available in Finland to my TV. As Netflix is available in Finland then my TV should be alowed to connect to Netflix Finland, doesn't it? So why doesn't it do that? Is it because the Netflix app is in some way configured for Sweden? And why couldn't the Netflix support explain it to me in that case? According to them there should be no differences between Sweden and Finland as they belong to the same region...

And as I wrote earlier, the SONY Sweden Support had no idea at all what could cause this problem, and I haven't received any answer from SONY Finland Support yet. But if there are some differences between a Swedish and a Finnish Netflix app, shouldn't someone of all supports be aware of that, and also be able to tell me how to reconfigure it for Finland in that case?

If not, I'm anyway still interested in testing to reinstall the latest software in my TV, but I don't know how to do it and no one seems to be able to tell me either.

I also spoke with my ISP support today, but they had absolutely nothing to come up with... but the support guy was definitelly not of the sharpest kind :slight_frown:

Thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

Yes but if your ISP address is incorrectly geo-filtered, then it simply won't work. Only your ISP can fix this by resetting your connection thus hopefully giving you a new one. As I mentioned I really see thus as an ISP issue.

Thanks

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

Try this link in your browser (TV or PC).:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Where+am+I%3F

Is your location as expected? Is it Sweden or Finland or Åland Islands?