Join now - be part of our community!

New TV but most movie files don't play from USB

profile.country.en_GB.title
cdeford
Visitor

New TV but most movie files don't play from USB

Hello, I have a new KDL32EX723 updated with the latest firmware, and I tried playing some films today via a USB external drive. Hardly any of them played (some did). These are pretty standard avi files, which all played on my old Samsung. I thought at first the problem might be file size since they are over 1 GB (but less than 2. However, I've read somewhere here that you can have a file size up to 4 GB, but maybe that's for another model.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I bought this tv as a multimedia/streaming tv over a home network, but at the moment it's doing very badly in that regard. It's a pity because the other aspects of the tv are really good.

2 REPLIES 2
SMFire
Visitor

Use the below link and download Sony's Media Server called Homestream. It handles most file formats. You need to ensure that your PC/Mac and TV are both connected to your home network.

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/1237485339460

cdeford
Visitor

Hi, thanks for the reply. Homestream is probably not going to help except maybe as a last resort, as I have a Synology diskstation which is linux-based. I could run the server software from the PC but it kind of defeats the object of having a NAS. But more broadly, better server softare may be the way forward and I'm going to try serviio first. I'm worried about the performance hit with on-the-fly transcoding but I'll have to see.

I'm still disappointed with the paltry codec support with this tv. I like it a lot otherwise.