Join now - be part of our community!

Pixel overdrive artifacts on W654

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

Pixel overdrive artifacts on W654

Another disappointment with the W654 is pixel overdrive artifacts. When dark objects move over a gray background, there's a white motion trail. It happens in other cases as well, but generally limited to when mid-brightness colors are involved.

Here's a shot showing a milder example of the problem (not from a Sony monitor):

http://www.blurbusters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/tracefree100-1024x256.png

I noticed that it's more prominent in 24Hz mode than 60Hz. Any idea why that is, if it's just the pixel response?

Is this problem present in all Sony TVs? 

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This question is probably a mute point, as in you other question posted HERE, I am advising to either replace or arrange a fix for the TV. 

What you are describing is probably Motion Blur.  Do you get this with the inbuilt Freeview turner, or have you connected another device such as a bluray player? 

More information is (re Motionflow) : HERE

I am assuming that you are using Picture Mode = Cinema 1 ?  If so, Try Cinema 2 instead and see if that assists?

Cheers

hcr_hassen

Hey Quinnicus. Still trying to come to terms with the various disappointments with the monitor, and I didn't have high expectations to begin with. :slight_smile:

It's not pixel motion blur per se, nor a software artifact. It's a common problem with pixel overdriving. See this for some info: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/advancedcontent.htm#overdrive

My reference mode for checking display properties is connected to a computer, all processing options off (which is what I use anyway). Picture Mode is "Game-Original".

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I can think of a few more ways in which you could be disappointed.  What about they joys of the TV - are there any??

Ive had 1 too many to read a tech document at the moment (i'll read the link tomorrow :slight_smile: ).  However I am wondering if we are talking the same language, just different terminology.  The link and all descriptions ive seen for 'pixel overdrive' refers to 'monitors'.  Yes monitors and TVs are essentially the same these days, however its the inbuilt technology that may differ.

Now, this is where it gets interesting.  You are using game mode.  According to Sony, the W6 range has motionflow that is automatic, except in a few cases of which it is switched off.  According to HERE, Game mode switches motionflow off.  What happens when you run the same test, with it switched on, say picture mode = standard or cinema2.  Are there any improvements?

hcr_hassen

First, some shots:

A video of the above here: Sony KDL-42W654A motion artifacts (Game-Original mode)

I tried other scene and picture modes. It's much better in some, but they also change the colors. Since the problem is with certain pixel color transitions (dark/mid-brightness range), I'm not sure if the improvement is just due to the difference in color or if there's something inherently different done at the lower levels.

Some settings affect it by themselves, like "Adv. Contrast Enhancer" (which seems to be a combination of contrast tweaking of the image data and dynamic changing of the backlight).

It will require more research, but anyway I would want to use Game-Original at least for games.

Joys of the TV? Yes, sometimes it's nice. When the colors aren't too grey/mid-dark, especially with panning content (else vertical bands show), and the scenes aren't too black/dark (where viewing angles pose a problem, see splotch in the vertical banding thread), and the content isn't the type that induces those white motion trails or other visible pixel transition artifacts. In almost all cases it's very good for static viewing of bright photos, and I can't fault it much when watching the news. :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for the screen-shots and can clearly see :slight_smile:   The only thing that I can advise (along with your vertical banding issue) is to contact the retailer you purchased it from and arrange a replacement or repair or contact Sony Support : HERE.  Unfortunately I cannot see any other way.

Pkease let us know how you get on anyway, id be interested to know.

Cheers

hcr_hassen

Nothing of the sort on your TV in Game mode? Did you see/not see something similar on VA panel TV models?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It almost looks like the 'ghosting' effect that you see if the 3D is poor.  I've watched the clip you have posted.

The thing is, you use the right 'scene' or picture mode for the right content.  Now if you are getting this type of artifact when playing games via a PS3 or something, then thats bad.  However you dont use 'game mode' to watch movies either as this is probably what you would get - if you see where im coming from.

hcr_hassen

I haven't had much chance to play, but it happens in games just the same. I happened to play a black-on-grey game, Limbo (nice one), and it's there as well. Though, not as bad as the above shots because of the specifics of the game visuals.

Inherently there's no real difference between movies and games. Both can have any color palette moving on a background of any other. :slight_smile: If one doesn't want tweaked colors, etc., Game-Original should be just as suitable for movies, at least if everything worked correctly.

I guess I'll have to ask Sony CS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hcr_hassen wrote:

I guess I'll have to ask Sony CS.

I think it might be best. Unfortunately I have no other suggestions or even a potential solution.  Be prepaired to go through the very basics initially.  Let me know how you get on anyway.
Good Luck