Join now - be part of our community!

Screen Fault Flashing Sony Bravia KDL-40NX713U

profile.country.en_GB.title
GWO110
Visitor

Screen Fault Flashing Sony Bravia KDL-40NX713U

We purchased a Sony Bravia KDL-40NX713U TV in February 2011 and it has developed a fault.

The whole screen flashes light and dark at a rate of about twice per second.

The whole picture is still there but the light/dark flashing makes it unwatchable.

The fault can be seen in the video of the TV screen at either of the following links:-

http://www.dropbox.com/s/y43rc66lxi320wq/SonyTV-Fault.wmv

http://www.dropbox.com/s/88a5kwldisk6wgl/SonyTV_Fault.mp4

This is not a cheap TV and it's not even 2 years old, certainly not what I would expect from a SONY product.

Look forward to some advice

7 REPLIES 7
Bravia55HX

Hi,

yes indeed that is faulty and i would expect that with this posted on here will prompt a response from Sony, in the meantime you should take this up first with your dealer as you still have rights even after the guarantee runs out, please see the enclosed link, do you actually have an extended warranty on this? not that it really matters but will make this a little easier to sort out.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/mar/25/consumernews.howtocomplain

GWO110
Visitor

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately we bought it from Comet who went into administration just last week.

I do hope Sony will take responsibility, as you say its less than 2 years old. Its been in a bedroom since we bought it so hardly been used.

Bravia55HX

like i said and the link suggests you still have rights even after the guarantee runs out, did you get an extended warranty with this as sometimes Sony offer a five year warranty with their sets.

GWO110
Visitor

I'm afraid there was no extended waranty but I will be looking into the rights as you suggest. In the meantime I have written again to Sony expressing my dissatisfaction with the response and requested that my comments be passed to a manager to be formally recorded.

I had hoped that someone on here might have been able to look at the video of the fault and give an indication of what the fault might be and hence the potential cost of repair, before incurring costs for dignosing the fault.

Thanks again for your interest, seems you are on your own.

GWO110
Visitor

Well, Sony don't want to take any responsibility, simply stating that the sale of goods act applies to retailers and not manufacturers! 

Unfortunately we bought the tv from Comet which has gone bust so that's a dead end.

My perception of the Sony brand has certainly down the pan.

misseyjulie
Visitor

Hi

Don't give up.

Advice from the now defunct consumer direct helped me to get a full refund for two sofas I purchased.

I'm currently battling M&S re a soft mattress sold as firm & Persimmon over our crap new house which is falling to pieces.

I'm having trouble pasting paragraphs in but have a good look at the CAB web site.Try emailing them.

According to the CAB which has taken over it's brief you can ask for a repair or refund up to 6 years if you'd expect the goods to last that long. Under EU law anyway many items are guaranteed for two years but the 1979 Sale of Goods Act is stronger than EU law. There is a sample letter on the CAB web site. Send it recorded delivery. Doesn't matter if it's the trader or manufacturer. Sony can't fob you off Comet were merely acting as their agents.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/consumer_w...

Good luck!

GWO110
Visitor

Unfortunately, Sony don't appear to want to take any resposibility. I contacted them only to be told its a chargeable repair.  This was an expensive 40" 3D TV located in a bedroom and hardly ever used and its less than two years old.  This is not the response I expected from what I percieved to be a quality brand.  I have many pieces of Sony equipment but this will be the last.

I had a Toshiba 42" LCD some time ago which developed a panel fault out of warranty and it was replaced without question but I went back to Sony again, a bad decision it seems.

I even sent  a video of the fault, you would have thought they could have at least provided some guidance on the likely cost of repair but it seems that was even too much to expect from Sony.