Join now - be part of our community!

Screen mirroring

profile.country.GB.title
Toffy9
New

Screen mirroring

Hi, 

i have just purchased a new Sony Bravia tv, and I was struggling to set up the screen mirroring from my iPhone, could someone please shed some light on this I have tried watching a few videos on YouTube but still struggling.

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Toffy9,

as far as I am concerned, you either need an Apple TV or the lightning to HDMI-dongle to mirror your iPhone to your TV.

At least this German help article suggests that: https://community.sony.de/t5/anleitungen-faqs/iphone-oder-ipad-am-bravia-tv-anschliessen/ba-p/189552...

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
MillHouseSkip
Explorer

Depending on what you are hoping for, you might be in for a disappointment. I bought a Bravia expecting to be able to ‘mirror’ my iPhone/iPad and spent a while investigating this.

The best device to properly do what I suspect you want is a Sony Experia type device. Sony to Sony - works well.

The trouble is that Sony Bravia makes use of a technology called Miracast. Devices that use this can be made to ‘mirror’ in the manner the name suggests. Apple doesn’t support Miracast. Apple supports AirPlay and Sony doesn’t.

So, in a nutshell you can’t do what I suspect you want to, it just doesn’t work. iPhone only talks AirPlay and Bravia only talks Miracast.

If you get an Apple TV then you can mirror you iPhone to that, which will show on the Bravia, but that’s extra expense and technology and steps. It works well though.

I’m not saying that there isn’t some fix/fudge out there that can ‘make’ mirroring iPhone -> Bravia ‘appear’ to work, it just won’t be as seamless or simple as the words on the adverts and the box suggest !

Some Apps manage, YouTube for example can display straight to a Bravia.

Sorry !!

Cheers