Join now - be part of our community!

Shocking Customer Service in UK for my KDL37EX503U

profile.country.en_GB.title
Seftonblake
New

Shocking Customer Service in UK for my KDL37EX503U

Catmambo please do not lock my thread, if you feel you wish to moderate please do so, but i wish to update the community on my progress so i reserve the right to post again and wish that you will no lock it again. Thanks

To whom it may concern,

My name is Syd Gillespie and I would like to make a written complaint towards Sony for lack of customer care throughout my recent repair process.

On 17/02/12 I contacted Sony Customer Services on 0330 440 2060 (as I was still within my first year of my five year guarantee) to arrange the repair of my television (KDL37EX503U).  The set had become faulty (the inverter board was making a loud buzzing sound and was getting progressively louder0.

I spoke to a very helpful person who booked my repair with a Sony approved repair company, DK Audio Visual Services (DKAVS).  They came to my house on 23/2/2012, as
promised, replaced my inverter board with a so called new one.  Whilst the engineer from DKAVS was replacing my inverter board I was chatting to him. I told him that I read on the internet that it seems common for the KDL series to have faulty inverter boards.  I also explained how when I bought the TV it didn’t have any buzzing, however after a few months it started to appear and become very audible. 

He told me that “Sony was aware of the fault and had indeed invented a new inverter board to rectify the problem”. 

Once I switched my television back on to my alarm the repair did not fix my fault, in-fact the buzzing was so louder and unbearable to watch and listen. 

I immediately called Sony (whilst the engineer for DKAVS was in my home) and spoke to Customer Service Representative (Mr Peter Farouk).  He told me the repair should have fixed the fault and I could either let the engineer take away the TV or book it in for another repair.  Whilst on the phone to Sony, the engineer from DKAVS called his office and spoke to him boss to relay my issues. 

To my amazement they were discussing the tolerance levels of the inverter board buzzing.  To my horror
I heard the engineers Manager say “just take the TV and we will give it back to him in a few days and just saying its repaired and if it buzzes anymore they have repaired it to a satisfactory level”.

WOW………….. I was not expecting that!!!!!!!

….so I challenged the engineer on this, to which he said he could not comment any more. I asked Mr Farouk if this was the service Sony was going to provide (I could tell he was shocked also) and wanted to speak to the engineer from DKAVS.  After a brief conversation between the Engineer and Mr Farouk the phone was passed to me again and I was promised the repair would be done and to “my satisfactory guaranteed”.  I challenged Mr Farouk with my alarm on the “buzzing tolerance” and after a few times making myself clear, he assured me the TV should not buzz to an audible level and should be as I bought it (not audible).

I told the engineer and Mr Farouk I wouldn’t decide straight away what I wished to do as I was going away and I would call Sony later to book it for a second repair.

I decided to book the TV in for another repair with Sony, who then booked the repair again with DKAVS.
They collected my TV on 2/3/12 and gave me a replacement (this TV was much larger than mine and although not faulty, didn’t not have any rubber feet, so when the engineer placed it on my TV Unit he scratched its surface (my TV stand is a OV95W and was very expensive), I was not very impressed, however he apologised and helped me put a towel under the TV to prevent further damage.

On 7/3/12 my TV was returned and again it was still making a loud buzzing. The engineer from DKAVS even admitted himself that from the buzzing was very audible even from over 30ft away (back of my living/dining room), but said they couldn’t fix it further.

The engineer left and within minutes a Customer Service Representative from Sony “After Care” called me, a guy called Steve (sounded like he was in the UK as had British voice with no phone echo).  He asked me if my repair was complete and for my feedback, to which I told him how VERY upset I was with my scratched TV unit and my TV still broken and in-fact it was making a louder buzzing than my original TV.  He assured me Sony would resolve my issue, he also told me he was now going to escalate my problem with his manager and someone would call me back with 24 hours.

I received no call from Sony, so I called Sony again on 13/3/12 and made an official complaint (6351515) and was told someone would contact me in the next 24 hours.

I received no call from Sony, so I called Sony again on 21/3/12 and made an enquiry on my official complaint (6351515) and was told a manager would contact me in the next 24 hours.

I received no call from Sony, so I called Sony again on26/3/12  and spoke in length to Ahmed
Mustafa (Team Leader) who was very sympathetic to my plight and said I would no longer be passed from pillar to post and he “would personally handle my complaint” and repair (thankfully at last I thought). 

He told me that I had to make another repair request and if this didn’t repair my TV I would be entitled to either a new TV of the same specification or my money back (my choice).  He told me if Sony doesn’t repair my TV after the third attempt within the first year I would be entitled to my money back.

A new repair request was carried out and instead of an engineer coming to my house I got a call from DKAVS to say they couldn’t repair my TV as the inverter board couldn’t be repaired further so they won’t be doing any more repairs and I was to call back Sony to arrange my replacement or money
back.

I called Sony, spoke to Mr Ahmed Mustafa again, who was very sympathetic. He said he now will escalate my complaint to Head Office and would come back to me on getting my replacement TV or my Money Back.

Approximately one week later My Ahmed Mustafa called me to say he has escalated my complaint to Head Office and needs to know if I wanted my money back or a replacement TV (to which I said it would depend on what the replacement TV was, as I’m not interested in another KDL37EX503U.  He said he would call me back with the resolve.

I hear nothing so virtually every three days I call Sony to ask speak to Mr Ahmed Mustafa, who is now not taking my calls and doesn’t reply to my messages left with the Sony Customer Services representative who answers my calls even though they tell me he will call me within 24 hours.

In the last 2 weeks I have become VERY ANGRY with Sony for the lack of customer care and service. I phone every 3rd day (or so) to speak to a Manager without success.

Finally……… after many tries I get to speak to a man called George Emad (Team Leader) who assures me he will look into it and why Mr Ahmed Mustafa hasn’t called me back.  He takes my mobile number and says he “PROMISES” to call me back in the next 2-4 hours (as he needs time to read my notes as they seem excessive).

One week passes and no call……………

Again (18/4/12) and finally I call and ask the Sony representative that answers the call (this time by) Ms Maha Tarek and again I have to go through the whole process and details to date before she can pass my call to her line Manager (Imagine how I feel saying the same extensive complaint each time just to process my call).  Unfortunately after this process she doesn’t pass on my call, but promises me her Line Manager Ali or Sam WILL call me before the end of business that day.

Guess what????? No call back!!!!

I’m really sick and tired of this whole process and I now beg Sony to take action. I’ve spent a massive amount of money on purchasing my TV I didn’t expect Sony to behave so poorly. This is not to mention my scratched TV unit nor the time and money I’ve spent calling Sony.

Sony are making it very hard to get a resolve, so what I'm hoping is someone either from Sony can intervene or maybe you have names emails or address i can try to contact.

...or do I have to go to an official watchdog or ombudsman

Thank's for any input in advance

Syd

11 REPLIES 11

Beamoboy
Sums it up perfectly.
Customer care is the worst I have ever came across.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone
Beamoboy
Explorer

I have had 2 TVs from Sony since June. First one insect infestation in the screen and lots of dead pixels. Then replacement has bad banding. Before I decided on Sony, I was a very loyal Panasonic person, but I was swayed into buying Sony as it was the perceived best in brand for LED TVs. That was my big mistake, one I will never make again. 

If I can dissuade people from buying Sony then I consider my posts as successful. Both on this forum and other forums as well.