Join now - be part of our community!

Slow Internet Streaming

profile.country.en_GB.title
coletzr
Visitor

Slow Internet Streaming

Hi all, I've had a KDL-40CX523 TV for three days now.  Up until today everything was fine.  I'd set up the internet connection and I've watched several HD feeds from iPlayer and some other music and video content too.  Today however the internet content is crushingly slow and most feeds are timing out before loading.

I don't know if this is a coincedince but I downloaded a firmware update overnight and loaded it this morning.  I have tried to reloading the factory settings but it looks like it didn't re-set the firmware (I didn't make a note of the numbers but I tried to update the firmware after the re-set and it said that I had the latest version.  It is now PKG3.807EUA-0104).  I have also checked my internet connection and the speeds are fine - my laptop can stream iPlayer easily.  I have run a connection test on the TV and it is connecting into my wireless network properly.

Any help would be appreciated, I am already missing the iPlayer feed as the TV is rubbish today...

8 REPLIES 8
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi, firmware wouldn't have impacted the streaming speed. Are you connecting over wifi? It could be any number of issues if other people in your house are also using web at the same time. My hunch is its a temporary glitch, but maybe try doing a factory reset to see if that fixes it?

Thanks

coletzr
Visitor

Hi Catmambo, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am connecting wirelessly and the only other device in the house is a laptop.  It worked OK alongside the laptop on the other days and I have tried it with the laptop off and there is no improvement.  I have plenty of bandwidth - I ran a couple of speed tests on the laptop and I get ~11Gbps each time.

I have tried two factory resets and checked back throughout the day but I struggle to get any content started, even if it does start it grinds to a halt after about ten seconds of playing.

One thing that is playing on my mind is that I thought that the update had completed when the TV picture reappeared and I swapped channels before the update had completed fully.  Is it possible that this could have corrupted it in some way?

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

If the update hadn't have completed, doing something halfway through would have totally fritzed the device and I think it deliberately locks out the remote to prevent accidental damage for this reason, so I think the firmware update is a coincidence. Migh be worth checking it connected via Ethernet to see if he problem remains. Otherwise only thing I could think of is some other interference causing bandwidth dropout. Is it the same for all video services?

coletzr
Visitor

Hi,

Yeah I'm sorry to keep focusing on the update, it's just that it worked fine yesterday.

I've tried iPlayer, Demand 5, MUZU and Sky News.  Typically I get a message like "A network error has occurred, but when I check the network page the connection test is OK.  I tried the browser earlier too and that was slow as well.

Catmambo
Contributor

Does an Ethernet connection work any better?

coletzr
Visitor

Yes it's better with a wired connection.  I can stream videos from all of the services that I mentioned above.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hmm, not sure what to suggest then really, if the performance change has been recent, then there must have been a trigger for it somehow, but its very hard to speculate remotely what that might have been. Make sure your router modem is up to date as well and running the latest firmware.  Worst case, grab a pair of homeplugs and connect the TV that way.

Thanks

coletzr
Visitor

After reading your post I tried a good old-fashioned hard reboot of the router.  That seems to have sorted things out, wireless streaming is up and running again.

Thanks for your help.