Join now - be part of our community!

SMP-N200 error

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sidblue
Explorer

SMP-N200 error

Hi just purchased the above unit and already stumbled across a few problems. BBC iPlayer is not working, you can access the page but some but not all programs display this message.

"Network Problem BBC iplayer was unable to connect to a required server. Please check your network connection and try again"

Would I lie to you= Works

Frozen Planet= Above message is displayed.

Country Tracks =Same message.

Another problem is I can't stream photos or music from my Windows Laptop, video files work perfectly and I see the WMP logo under the film icon but not under photo's or music. Why is this?

Software Version : M10.r.0579

Provisioning Server Connection status: Succeeded

I'm sure this is a temporary software issue (I hope) but is there anyone experiencing  the same problems?

UPDATE 22/12/2011

Still no word from Sony and still the same problem, I have tried 4 boxes to date all with the same issue.

Message was edited by: sidblue

Message was edited by: sidblue

25 REPLIES 25
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi all

If you are experiencing an issue, can I ask that you raise this with the call centre so a case can be opened and then engineering can try and replicate the issue? Its strange as Netbox shares common DNA with the Blu-ray players, but no-one has noted a problem on those. Secondly this doesn't appear to be impacting all users as there would be more people on here noting it. I'll grab one when I'm next in and test it on my Virgin Media connection as well..

Thanks

energytab
Visitor

Catmambo

could you please let us have the direct phone number to report this.

And possibly someone whjo could advise at least two of us how to get a refund, because the box does not work on iplayer

Thanks

RobertM
Visitor

I have just retested mine and everything is now working fine. I have used iPlayer and watched bits from a number of different program's and they all played without error. Also tested Sky News, Lovefilm trailers, DLNA streaming and Internet browsing and all is working. The only difference is I am using the built in wireless rather than an Ethernet over Powerline adapter.

energytab
Visitor

Hi Robert

thats great news.

I thought you were on to something there, as I was using the Powerline adapter as well. Have just set up the wireless, and tried it again but alas mine still does not work.

I've put a review on the box on the retailer website, so hopefully some other sucker wont have the messing about I have had.

Catmambo - can you please let me have the contact number to speak to the Sony engineer. I want to raise a complaint about this box and find out exactly whats wrong with it. I think its a disgrace to be perfectly honest

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

As mentioned - please raise this with the callcentre directly (contact details at the top of the page) so they can help troubleshoot. I appreciate your frustration, but its not clear that this is a widespread issue, so it may be simply that your box is faulty, in which case it can be repaired by your local services centre without too much trouble..

You would need to speak to your retailer directly about a refund as your contract of sale is with them.

Hope this helps

thanks

energytab
Visitor

Thanks.

I have fixed the problem. I went into settings and selected a complete reset of the box to factory default settings.

Then re-installed the wireless connection to the router

Thats fixed the problem straight away and i can now access iplayer

I would recommend this to anyone experiencing problems with either internet connection problems, or iplayer

Message was edited by: energytab

Message was edited by: energytab

rbhannam
Visitor

May I add my experience, which was exactly the same as other contributors. I plugged in my SMP-N200, and was prompted to update the firmware before using any features. Although the unit appeared to connect to iPlayer, most of the functions did not work. The system did not populate prpgramme listings; it did not search; there was no radio coverage at all. In short, it did not work as advertised.

I reset everything to the factory settings and iPlayer is now working. This proves to me that it was the firmware update that caused the problem.

It would be really helpful if Sony took this issue seriously instead of implying the fault is with the BBC or the user.

dileigh
Visitor

Just to update the statistics a little - I had exactly the same problem - BBC iPlayer failing to play with network error  showing. That happened both before and after I updated to lartest software. Fortunately I found my way to this thread and I reset to factory settings and reloaded network settings - everything seems fine now. I don't think the beb have changed aything in the meantime!

profile.country.GB.title
Red_Snow
New

I have one of these that also had intermittent issues with iPlayer. I did a full reset but had some similar issues.

The thing that seemed to help me was setting external DNS addresses. This is instead of my router acting as the DNS server for DHCP clients.

On my router, for the DHCP scope options; I set the DNS for clients to be 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 (these are the Google PublicDNS servers). If this is not an option on your router, you can go through the network settings on SMP-N200 and input manually. Select AUTO for all settings but set the DNS manually to IPs above - that worked just fine.

Cheers - mark

profile.country.GB.title
Red_Snow
New

I have one of these that also had intermittent issues with iPlayer. I did a full reset but had some similar issues.

The thing that seemed to help me was setting external DNS addresses. This is instead of my router acting as the DNS server for DHCP clients.

On my router, for the DHCP scope options; I set the DNS for clients to be 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 (these are the Google PublicDNS servers). If this is not an option on your router, you can go through the network settings on SMP-N200 and input manually. Select AUTO for all settings but set the DNS manually to IPs above - that worked just fine.

Cheers - mark