Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 2014 TV Range - What Is Sony Doing ?

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Sony 2014 TV Range - What Is Sony Doing ?

Hi, as a huge Sony fan I am disappointed to see how poorly the new W95 Flagship 1080p 2014 TV has been reviewed. Every review I have read on the web has said that it's a step back from Sony's 2013 W9 model.

It seems that the W95 has really poor black levels with one website review saying that it is the worst performing Sony Bravia TV that they have ever reviewed. Also, the sets seems to suffer from poor backlight Uniformity.

I don't really understand why Sony has opted to use an IPS Panel rather than a VA Panel for this TV. Surely Sony could have used a VA Panel from AU Optronics with improved viewing anles from last years W9 on this year's W95.

I know that Sony's TV Division is in trouble and many people on various forums are saying that Sony's TV Divison will be gone in a year or so. It's not good reading to be honest. However with bad decisions like this, it seems ever more likely.

I own Sony's flagship 4k model the X9005 and have to say that it's a superb TV. One would think that Sony would continue to improve things year on year, not take steps back ?

I would be very grateful please if my comments could be passed onto the relevant department/team as a matter of urgency.

I want to see a Sony 4K OLED with superb Magnetic Fluid Speakers in a year or so. What I don't want to hear is the news that Sony's TV Division has finally gone. That would be very sad news indeed. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Yes, the use of the IPS panel in Sonys flagship 1080p is interesting indeed, unfortunately this is out of the hands and control of Sony UK/EU.

In regards to Sony's TV division, this will not be abandond any time soon - TV's are one of Sony's core products.  So rest assure, they will still be here.

I think the entire world is waiting for affordable OLED - but I guess the technology is prooving more difficult than initially thought in bulk quantities.  Still some-way off im afraid.

Just my thoughts and opinions thats all.

Cheers

PS: Reviews are just that, reviews on someone/s opinion.  Use them as guidelines, but its always best to make your own judegement by actually having a look the product, getting a demonstration, etc etc.

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi Quinnicus, thanks for your reply. Perhaps this could be fed back to Sony UK who in turn can feed it back to Sony Japan. If necessary, a product recall could be done and the panel could be changed to a VA and hey presto you have a superb TV. That is of course if Sony also address the Backlight Uniformity issue.

When Sony announced their 2014 model range, it was said that Viewing Angles and Backlight Uniformity will be a priority on the new models. Doesn't seem to be the case. Yes IPS Panels do have slightly better viewing angles than VA Panels, but at the cost of poor black levels.

My X9005 has a VA Panel with good viewing angles. Don't understand why then these panels can't be added to different models in the range ?

Thanks