Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KD-43xe7073

Sony Bravia KD-43xe7073

I have purchased the above model TV and the picture quality is very poor in normal

TV mode. The picture is very clear on HD channels and also Netflix etc, but very grainy/fuzzy/blurred on terrestrial TV. The signal quality and strength is 98% so the digital signal doesn't seem to be the issue and I have no other equipment connected to it. For a £600 TV I'm disappointed with the picture quality, any ideas how I can improve it please?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @spookeyone and welcome to the community,

You could try turning off noise reductions in the settings to see if this helps.

Cheers,

C

profile.country.GB.title
Gfotos1
Explorer

It's a big 4K  screen with an awful lot more Pixels than your 1080 standard hd model.  You will not get the same quality SD picture as you will with a standard hd model.  The TV is up scaling to fill in all those missing pixels that standard definition is only broadcasting.  HD broadcasts and blue ray are first class on this TV. In a nut shell a 4K system is built for 4K but they don't tell you this when your buying it!

profile.country.GB.title
andybarratt2650
Explorer

Yes, unfortunately this is the new world of televisions.

We're at the point where the hardware is far more advanced than anything we're actually watching on it - more or less - in that 4K televisions wildly outnumber non-4K tv's in your average high street electrical retailer. And my, don't they all look pretty displaying that specially selected football or nature show in all their 4K glory.

Trouble is, there's not enough 4K content. Yes, there's a little bit on Netflix, but it probably accounts for about 5%, maybe less. You could also get a Sky Q box, and watch their 5% or maybe less 4K content too. 

Everything else, was not made for 4K televisions. You'll just about get away with HD - though by this point you're possibly wondering what you paid for, as it likely doesn't look any better than the 1080p TV you possibly replaced. 

And as you noted, anything older.... well it's borderline unwatchable. 

We're putting the cart before the horse here. But that's marketing. The truth is, we're not ready for 4K - but the manufacturers simply need to sell televisions. 

All of this is fact - the problem is whether anyone understands it. If they do - no harm no foul - eschew non-HD content, accept HD is no better than it was on your old telly, and maybe dabble in the tiny amount of 4K content. But the additional truth is, by the time we're really ready for 4K - we'll need a new TV to watch it on. Really. 

Times have changed. 

profile.country.GB.title
Gfotos1
Explorer

Very well said!
If I had realised that SD content would display so badly I probably would
not have bothered changing my old Sony 40 inch HD TV which although had
unwatchable cross talk 3D did have better picture control. This model
doesn't even allow me to control backlighting apart from changing the eco
setting. Saying that I do think the upscaled HD content is pretty good but
watching some of the lesser Freeview offerings on SD such as Quest is
painful!