Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL-32U2000

Dinkyyy
Explorer

Sony KDL-32U2000

I wonder if someone could give some advice about my tv
Its a sony KDL-32U2000 . I have also got it connected to my sky digital box
I rarely venture on to the tv's built in digital channels, and prefer to view the chsnnels via my skybox, yesterday I was scrolling quickly through the digital channels and came to a blank black screen and it just froze and couldnt exit it or go to other channels
Worse of all when I returned to watch the sky channels, it affected the sound , i could detect a faint bip every 8 seconds, and the sound goes off for 2 seconds and then on for 5 or 6 seconds continuously. the froze digital channell seems to be causing the sound on and offf problem
The picture is still perfect, does anyone know what the problem is and could I fix my self or does it need a tv repairman? I searched on google and noticed you could factory reset the tv, would that cure the problem, thanks for listening
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Before doing a factory reset, just try retuning the freeview channels again on the TV and see if that works.  Any ideas on what channel you was on that caused it.  All else fails, factory reset the TV.

Cheers

Dinkyyy
Explorer

I think it was somewhere in the 50's but I don't know the exact channel number,
I've tried retuning the channels but it won't go to the correct page, it's just stuck on this black screen
Will a factory reset fix the problem?
Is this the way to do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J6w8cHRKu0

I don't have a PC myself but my sister has one
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If you are going to channels 58 and 59 (BT Sports channels) - they are subscription only channels, and therefore will be "scrambled" - meaning they cannot be used.  Its possible that this "may" cause issues.  If these are indeed the channels you are having problems with, I would suggest deleting them entirely.  See page 20 of the manual : HERE.

In regards to factory resetting the TV - yes they are indeed the instructions on how to do it.  However I will advise extreme caution in regards to doing so.  This is because you are entering the service menu and a wrong keypress on the remote control will render your tv next to useless. 

However I do not think this will resolve your problem - hence see above.

Cheers.

Dinkyyy
Explorer

Unfortunately I can't open the PDF file on my iphone, could you give a step by step guide on deleting a channell, do you think of I delete the offending channel it'll fix the problem?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im only going on a couple of assumptions here though.  You said in a previous post that you think the problem lies in one or more of the channels in the 50's range.  There are only 2 channels in the 50's range that "could" cause issues.  These are the BT Sports channels, of which you cannot access without a decoder box anyhow.  Therefore if you delete those channels, it may fix your issues. 

To delete channels:

1. Press the [Menu] button on the remote control.
  2. Scroll down to "Settings" and press [OK]
  3. Scroll down to "Digital Setup" and press [OK]
  4. *Note* this is where instructions are unclear - Find a menu called "Program List Edit" or "Programme Sorting"  From there, you should be able to delete certain channels, follow on-screen instructions.

Except from manual:

Delete Channels.jpg

Hopefully this helps

Cheers

Dinkyyy
Explorer

Thanks for that, but when I click digital set up there's no further menu, it just goes to a black blank screen , looks like ill have to take it to get repaired
Anonymous
Not applicable

How weird.  Its looking like that to be honest.  However the cost of repair may just be too high (ie un-economical), therefore a new TV would be cheaper.

For a list of authorised Sony Repair Centres in your area, see:

http://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/repair/asc

Good Luck. :four_leaf_clover:

Dinkyyy
Explorer

Really? You think it'll cost that much? As I said earlier the picture is perfect , I'm really not bothered at all of using the digital channels , as long as the sky ones work
What would a new 26 inch sony tv of similar quality cost?
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, I dont really know the costs on resolving your issue via a technician.  It could be a simple fix for all I know - the problem is, is that is can be hard to understand the issue without actually seeing it.

If your looking at another TV, have a look at the new W6 or W7 range of TV's as they may fit a tighter budget better.