Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL**HX923

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Sony KDL**HX923

Should i be worried, apparently complaints are comming in already for this new tv on dark verticle lines either side of the screen!, i have seen this before on the LG i had that went back for a full refund as it was the area where the ribbon cable joins at the screen for the backlight (could be seen from the front) i had 3 of them and the engineer said its not right, heres the pics of the Sony.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/crease3.jpg/

http://i53.tinypic.com/wi2grc.jpg

this was originally posted on another forum and the poster stated that this is reported by german customers and uk ones, however i have been waiting months for my pre order and dont have it yet!!

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

Message was edited by: StartTheCar

Edited title in order to Sticky it, hope this is ok.

Message was edited by: -frank-

Edited links to work properly (originally double http)

535 REPLIES 535
norks27
Visitor

My local Sony Centre have been very helpful.

I had contacted them a while back to report on 'creasegate' and asked them to do some digging with Sony.  As expected Sony merely denied the issue.

The Sony Centre contacted me yesterday, and given my concerns have arranged for me to come to the store and view the TV in action, the TV will be fresh out of the box and in a seperate room, if i like what I see then that TV will be packaged up and delivered.  If I don't like it then I may try a second one from a fresh batch or contemplate another brand.

My advice - talk to your Sony Centre, express your concerns and see if they can arrange a try before you buy.

Jason-Jones
Visitor

Exactly what I intend to do!

Bravia55HX

Well guys, since i started this post i had my 55" delivered and set up by the dealer on Thursday and lo and behold one crease line down right hand side as reported 1cm in which the dealer has acknowledged and will be making further inquiries, naturally im very dissappointed at this and even more so at the guys from Sony on this forum who has not once responded or offered any reassurance to its customers, it it any wonder some are getting annoyed, i can also note and im not sure yet at this point on watching a 3D movie and i must say the depth of the movie is awesome and picture is excellent but when it gets to blacked out scenes there are four white light halo's ( one in each corner) not too sure about that now, but other than this its one of the finest tv's with build quality to match, so i say this-

Catmambo and his friends know all these posts are here but choose not to respond, this i understand, its hard to admit theres a fault, i for one cannot believe the guys in the know will serve their valuable time tinkering about on these chat forums answering questions, on the other hand of those one or two that chose to do this are probably not allowed to say too much anyway,

i am going to ride this out a while and see what developes, the people at Haymarket publishing, What Hi Fi, and the guys from Sony will come to a head on this soon enough.

norks27
Visitor

Update on 'CREASEGATE':

Back from the Sutton Sony Centre after viewing the 55".

It really is a stunning TV - BUT:

Straight away with Wimbledon playing on the TV you could EASILY spot 2 vertical creases on the left and right side of the screen, about 1-2cm in and 1cm wide.  Did not really have to look for them or even view the screen at an angle, it was evident straight on.

The Sony Centre agreed with me that this was a defect, and indeed pointed out some images showing some blooming issues, although that seemed less of an issue to me.

The folks at Sutton Sony Centre have been superb, very helpful and understanding.

So the TV is on it's way back to Sony.

Let's hope Sony start listening to their customers and sort this issue out bcause it really is a stunning looking TV, and for a flagship model it deserves to be fault free.

StartTheCar
Contributor

Afternoon

Sorry about the delay in getting a reply up.  I wanted to speak with our engineers in Product Quality and take a look or myself before posting anything.   I acknowledge the lack of reply has given room to various theories and speculation; some justified, some not so much.

In the defence of guys like Catmanbo, their forum activity is not guaranteed.  Indeed all of the ladies and gents from Sony post in their own time or as and when they get the chance.  Thankfully, the majority of threads are answered by the community (as it should be) and rarely need much if any input from us.

That said, this community, and those on other sites and forums, represent a very healthy source of feedback and are something we keep a very keen on eye on.

Despite the impression given, we are aware of this issue, and have been investigating it for the last week or so (since the first reports started to hit the retailers, forums and call centre)

Since then, we have become aware of a relatively small number of sets where a vertical band that appears to be slightly darker than the rest of the picture about 1cm away from the screen edge. As some of you have suggested, this may be visible on both sides of the screen or it could just show on the left or right edge of the picture.

At this time the investigation is still ongoing at the factory but we hope to have a solution soon.

In the meantime, if I can ask you each mail me your details. and the details of the TV (model/serial number etc) I can then make sure that each of you receives an answer when we hear back from the factory.  I will also keep this thread updated.

Best regards
Lee

Bravia55HX

Hi Start the Car,

at last a response of a positive nature, thank you, have sent you a pm, m ight have spelt my ID wrong LOL, but you'll work it out!'

regards,

Andy.

norks27
Visitor

Grateful for the response.

It has been so far a very frustrating time given the lack of an official response.

Any chance you could keep us updated.  I've passed on my Sony 40X2000 so currently without a display :slight_frown:

Here's hoping for a speedy resolution and the factory and quality control sort out the issue to prevent any further faulty TVs hitting the market.

sammy20v
Visitor

Many thanks for getting back to us, PM sent

profile.country.GB.title
Palhil
Explorer

PM sent.

I decided to return my set and wait for this issue to be resolved before purchasing again.  It's being picked up on Thursday.

So it's back to standard definition for me in the mean time.  :slight_frown:

StartTheCar
Contributor

I have received mails from a good number of you (about 6-7 so far) which is great.  All the extra detail you have provided is very much appreciated.  I will forward everything I get onto the Product Quality team which should help to speed up the investigation.

As soon as I hear more I will provide an update.

Lee