Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL**HX923

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Sony KDL**HX923

Should i be worried, apparently complaints are comming in already for this new tv on dark verticle lines either side of the screen!, i have seen this before on the LG i had that went back for a full refund as it was the area where the ribbon cable joins at the screen for the backlight (could be seen from the front) i had 3 of them and the engineer said its not right, heres the pics of the Sony.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/crease3.jpg/

http://i53.tinypic.com/wi2grc.jpg

this was originally posted on another forum and the poster stated that this is reported by german customers and uk ones, however i have been waiting months for my pre order and dont have it yet!!

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

Message was edited by: StartTheCar

Edited title in order to Sticky it, hope this is ok.

Message was edited by: -frank-

Edited links to work properly (originally double http)

535 REPLIES 535
norks27
Visitor

For those not following 'creasegate' on other forums the latest news indicates a product recall with Sony Centres instructed to return all stock due a 'small' number of faulty sets.

Hmmm - 'small number'

No disrespect to Lee and grateful for his input but I believe it is a little disingenuous to suggest that these cases are 'isolated' or a 'small' number.  The reverse would actually be true, i.e. there are a very small number of fault free sets.  Unless of course you are looking at total numbers including US sets where they have not reported the problem, however these are manufactured in Mexico, I believe.  Not sure where the European models are assembled.

Still at least Sony finally woke up to the issue.  I had previously e-mailed Sony regarding the problem and was met with a complete denial, thank goodness for active forum members who pointed out the issue.

bign55
Visitor

my "Mary Rose" sailed into the harbour this morning, no surprise i have a left hand crease.

serial number 3200002.

back it goes, more holidays off work wasted.

BigD289
Visitor

So is a product recall official then?

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-recalls-hx923-crease-201107011261.htm

How do I go about returning my set???

bign55
Visitor

How do I go about returning my set???

good question, my experience so far.

i opened a case online this morning but did not get a reply, so got fed up waiting and rang them.

i have now got a sony case id, which they have to send back to their head office in tokyo and it will take

A WEEK, before i here anything else.

A sodding week when they no its a recall.

parker81
Visitor

I just wanted to chime in from the US.

I have the US version of this set - the HX929 - and I have the same creasing issue. I haven't had any luck via the message US message board so I was wondering if you could confirm that this issue is also affecting US sets?

I already have an email from Sony Support stating the crease issue is not normal, and have a technician scheduled to service the TV in a week - but if it's a manurfacturing defect I'd prefer to just swap out the set as soon as possible.

Thanks.

StartTheCar
Contributor

Hi

I thought you would all appreciate a bit of an update.

First thing, I read through the article which BigD289 linked in his last post.  As the article references this thread I am obviously cool with the majority of the content.  That said, the bit about the recall is incorrect; there hasn’t been one.

To date I have received 22 e-mails from forum users all of which have proved vital in supporting our investigation, so a big thank you to you all.  Hopefully my replies here, along with the final outcome, will go someway to answering your questions and ultimately reaffirm your faith in Sony.

Now, since I last posted, the folks in the Product Quality and Engineering teams have been testing as many of these sets as they can get their hands on.  At the factory this will obviously take place on a larger scale, looking at every aspect of the design and manufacture of these sets.  Meanwhile, here in the UK, we have pulled product from current stock and set about our own tests, comparing them against one another as well as sample units we have recovered from UK customers directly.

While this has allowed us the opportunity for compare and bench mark the best versus the 'not so good' we are very aware that  by essentially staring at these things for days on end we could start to find problems that are not relevant or even count as an issue.  It may seem strange, given the nature of this thread, but in such clinical surroundings (which do not really replicate the home environment) it is possible to be a little over critical.

With this in mind, we have taken the rather unique decision of calling in one of your own, a UK customer, to take a look at the best we have found and provide their evaluation of its performance, specifically regarding the “crease” issue.

Effectively this means (for the first time that I am aware of) that the consumer will help to set the standard of what these sets should (and will) look like.  This Bravia is on its way to the customer now.  I will keep my eyes and ears open for the results and let you know as soon as any feedback comes through.

As there is still a bit of the day left, there is a chance I will be able to provide a further update before the weekend but I wanted to share the above as soon as I received it.

Best regards

Lee

DidsUK
Visitor

Thanks for the update Lee; it's much appreciated.

bign55
Visitor

this seems a bit worrying, getting a customer to say what they think, when they have had lots tell them its not good enough already.

Is it not obvious that if you display a solid red screen, it should ALL be red ,without a black mark down the left hand side.

same for green/blue/white or am i missing something?

sammy20v
Visitor

This is exactly my concern.

StartTheCar
Contributor

I am perhaps guilty of over simplifying things a little.  Rest assured that the whole thing doesn’t hang on the say of a single consumer (that would be crazy)

My intention was to offer a basic outline of process we are currently going through and to assure you that we will be using all available resources, including you guys, to help us reach the correct standard.  

I wish I could send you all a sample to test, but that is not really that practical, especially as we all want this matter resolved sooner rather than later.

I am going to log off for the evening but I will check my e-mail throughout the weekend and post any news I may get.

Lee