Join now - be part of our community!

sony kdl42w653a switchin off and blinking 8 times

smashah

sony kdl42w653a switchin off and blinking 8 times

after experiencing issues with the sony remote not able to navigate with youtube app.  Today the tv is randomly switching off and the standby light ( red colour )  blinking 8 times. 

Not happy with this televsion. 

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi smaashah,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

If the stanby light is flashing red then this indicates that the TV's self diagnosis mode has been activated, I suggest you contact your local authorised Sony service centre and inform the them of the sequence that the Standby light flashes. Click the following link to locate contact details for your Local Sony service centre

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thalamus is correct that the blinking light indicates a hardware fault.  However sometimes though, the 8 blinks is the odd one out.

First thing to do is reboot your ISP's internet router

Then perform a factory reset of the TV itself. 

1. Turn TV off from the wall and leave off for 2 minutes
  2. Turn TV back on again
  3. On the TV's remote control press the UP arrow (and point at the TV's remote censor) as well as pressing the power button on the TV itself (then release power button and then UP arrow)
  4. The TV will now reset back to factory default
  5. You will then have to go through the Auto Setup

I have experienced this myself, and had to do the Auto setup twice before it was resolved.

However if you still experience this problem afterwards, you may need to contact an authorised Sony Repair Centre, as Thalamus suggested.

Cheers

smashah

Thanks for your replies Thalamus and Quinnicus

I have performed the factory reset a few times, but still experience the same problems.   I have noticed whilst going through the auto setup screens, it skips step 17 and goes straight to final setp 18.   Is this an error or default settings for it to skip step 17?

Had a quick look at System Information:   Service Code:   AMY 

Also television still within 30 days return period and i have requested a replacement from sony.  just waiting for the returns labels and documents to be emailed from the courier so can return asap to sony.   If they do give out a replacement, hope it does not encounter similar probs.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome smashah,
To be honest I would do the same if my Bravia did this within the 30 day return window..
Anonymous
Not applicable

It does sound like its a hardware issue in the end. 

But yes, certainly advise replacing the TV.