Join now - be part of our community!

Sony W605B 48' White flash during scene change.

profile.country.DK.title
laped83
Explorer

Sony W605B 48' White flash during scene change.

I just noticied an odd issue with my newly bought sony TV. Everytime during scene changes a white flash will occur. This is best shown in dark scenes or when the tv menu is open. The issue is quite hard to explain so I have tried to make a small clip to show it ( sorry for the poor quality but it is still pretty easy to see the issue):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/biv8k4pu5l1att9/2014-11-02%2019.19.38.mp4?dl=0

The issue have been seen on different HDMI input sources using with different HDMI cables. I dont know if the issue exist on other input types since I dont have any input sources for them. 

I have tried to disable/enable many settings on the TV but it didn't solve anything. Currently iam using the following seting:

Picture

Cinema 1
Backlight 7
Contrast 90
Brightness 50
Color 50
Hue 0
Color temperature warm 2
Sharpness 50
Noise reduction off
Mpeg noise reduction off
Reality creation off
Smooth gradation off
Film mode auto

Advanced settings
Black corrector off
Adv contrast enhancer off
Gamma -1
Auto light limiter off
Clear white off
Live color off
Detail enhancer off
Edge enhancer off
Led motion mode off

So ideas is very much welcome :slight_smile:

Best Regards

Lars

[Edited by moderator to remove surname]

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for the video - always makes it easier to actually 'see' what the issue is.  Unfortunately I dont have a hard and fast fix only a suggestion.

I see that you have turned off all image processing.  But you may have over-looked the 'eco settings'  Have a look and turn it off, if not already done so:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/14HM154111/EN/c_eco_backlight.html

Also, you may have "Scene Select" set to AUTO (take it off, and set it to something else)?  See:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/14HM154111/EN/c_aadjust_scene.html

Cheers

profile.country.DK.title
laped83
Explorer

Thanks for the reply Quinnicus. 

Unfortunately the issue remains even when changing the ECO setting and also the SBM option in the same menu doesn't do any good too. I have also been through all the scene select options which doesn't help either. 

I'm quite sure that this is some kind of software problem but this doesn't help when the TV has the latest software.

I'm not sure what my next step should be 😕

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome

The next step is a "Factory Reset" and unfortunately after that, its Sony Support im afraid.  Has this TV always done this since you purchased it? 

Im also curious if this does it on Freeview - but alas you've stated that you dont have any other input sources other than via HDMI (correct?)

Cheers

profile.country.DK.title
laped83
Explorer

I need an antenna for the freeview channels so I can't test it. Have had the TV for 2 months but its only now that I have started to notice the flashing. But when you have started to notice a fault you cant stop looking for it right? :slight_smile:

I'll try to do a factory reset and see what happens.

But you agree that the TV isn't suppose to do this right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its like finding a dead pixel or two.  Once you know its there, your eyes are drawn to it.

But yes, fully agree, the TV should not be doing that.  AND would annoy the hell out of me.

bradmoss
Explorer

Did you find a solution?

I just bought an LG 2015 Full Hd TV and has the exact same behaviour, that flash I can see and bothers me when there is a scene change (not all, somtimes it doesn't happen). My wife can't notice it but it bothers me so much!

Thank you.

AndrewCarpenter
Explorer

The onlly solution i can refer you is Factory Reset of Sony Device. If it does not solve it then return it to sony. :slight_smile: 

profile.country.DK.title
laped83
Explorer

Ended up getting a the whole TV (except the power adapter) replaced. Great service but the same issue exists on the new TV. So no I havn't solved the issue and is mainly using my other TV because of this issue. Iam not sure if the power adapter could cause this issue but I havn't got the chance to try another one. My guess is still some kind of picture "enhancement" kind of effect, one that can't be turned off 😕

bradmoss
Explorer

I ask because I have not an Sony but an LG, my "flash effect" shows when there is a scene change (not always) but without the Menu above it (if it were just when the Menu is on wouldn't care), agree with the idea that it must be some kind of picture "enhancement" but I have to ask in your case it happened just with the Menu screen on?