Join now - be part of our community!

SSD drives working on KDL-42W815B

profile.country.GB.title
Manu_T

SSD drives working on KDL-42W815B

To however is interested.

I've tested the following SSD and mechanical harddrives with this model of TV. I asume that they also work with derivatives of this TV (W805B, W817B etc...)

I've used 2 similar enclosures for 2.5" drives. The first is a USB2.0 model from Kingston (which is supplied with their SSD upgrade kit). This is a rebadged Sharkoon Quickstore portable USB2.0 enclosure. The difference is that the Kingston model has a separate mini-USB-cable while the Sharkoon has its cable attached to the enclosure. The other enclosure tested is a Sharkoon Quistore USB3.0. There exist a newer model (Quickstore USB3.1) which I haven't tried (yet). These enclosures all look the same, a full plastic body with an aluminum top. You can remove and insert disks without any tools. Since the TV itself is only USB2.0 I've kept the USB2.0 enclosure for use with this set.

I've succesfully used the following drives with both enclosures:

WD Blue 500GB HDD

Seagate 500GB HDD

Corsair nova V64 60GB (Indilinx IDX110M00-FC Barefoot controller)

A-Data S511 120GB (Sandforce SF2281 controller)

The following SSD doesn't work at all

Mushkin Reactor 480GB (Silicon Motion SM2246EN)

I suspect that other drives with the same controlers also work. Alternatives with SF2281 are Kingston V300-series. And OCZ Vector SSD have Indilinx Barefoot 3 controllers which might be comparable to the older Barefoot controller (Indilinx was absorbed by OCZ which in itself is absorbed by Toshiba).

My Tv is KDL-42W815B with software: PKG3.004EUA

I hope you find this interesting?

Manu T

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Thanks for sharing @Manu_T