Join now - be part of our community!

Standby Insists on 15W

profile.country.en_GB.title
anthlee20
Visitor

Standby Insists on 15W

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-46Z5500U TV, and a question that (partly) seems to have been asked several times, but with no clear answer.   I would welcome a definitive answer from Sony.

The printed Operating Instructions include a "Specifications" that detail "Standby Power Consumption".  This is said to be "0.19W (16.5W when "Quick Start" is set to "On")". 

I have an energy monitor that permits me to measure power (and VA if required) for the TV plug alone.  In Standby (with green light on TV) this measures approx 15W (and 31VA).  This is the case even though I have configured "Set Up" => "Quick Start" to Off for all five time-periods offered.

Some community chat seems to imply that GUIDE+ will cause around 15W of drain during standby under certain conditions.  Under "Digital Set Up" => "Technical Set Up" => "Programme Guide" I see the ability to choose between a Sony guide or "Guide Plus +", but no ability to switch off the programme guide completely.

I do not mind if standby consumes 15W for (say) 30 mins per day to aquire data, but otherwise I want to see standby consumption close to 0.19W as I would like to control the TV in conjunction with other equipment from a fancy remote, and this implies the TV must rest in Standby.

How do I achieve Standby consumption of around 0.19W for most of the Standby period?   So far I have utterly failed, despite considerable effort!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
anthlee20
Visitor

Err, correction:  "with red light on TV" of course!

Any help anyone?  This seems to be a case where the TV simply does not meet its specification.