Join now - be part of our community!

STRANGE BRAVIA HDMI PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!

smiffster
New

STRANGE BRAVIA HDMI PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

Here's one for you. i have a bravia kdl-40l4000.

last year hdmi2 blew and i cant use it anymore.

for a year i ran xbox and sky through a hdmi splitter with no problems. all of a sudden sky came up with a blue screen but xbox still worked. direct conneted hdmi to sky - still same. changed leads still same - tried daughters sky box still the same

HOWEVER

the xbox still works. at first i thought it was a res issue but both are running on 1080i.

HELP

this has me stumped - tried everything 😞

7 REPLIES 7
smiffster
New

any idea's any1??????? reset tv too ..... is there a master reset??
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im trying to figure out this problem here - to summarise if this is correct?

Problem

• You have a HDMI splitter connected to the TV feeding a Sky box and Xbox
  • The Sky box displays a blue screen but Xbox works

Fault Finding

• Connect Sky box directly to TV - Fails (blue screen)
  • Changing HDMI leads - Fails (blue screen)
  • Tried another Sky box - Fails (blue screen)
  • XBox on HDMI splitter and direct connect using same HDMI leads as Sky Box - Works

Have you tried a Forced Update:

1. Unplug Sky box/turn off at the mains
  2. Hold the Back Up button on top of the box and power the box on
  3. Keep holding the button until a black screen appears telling you it is updating the box and may take up to 10 minutes (4 lights on the front of the box will come on)
  4. After the update the box will go into standby, allow a few minutes for it to come out of standby, if it doesn’t then manually do it by pressing SKY button on the remote
  5. You should now have it back up and running

Cheers

smiffster
New

hi quinnicus

i did initially think it was the sky box but its not. i tried my tv from upstairs downstairs and the sky works fine on it. plug it back in and the picture comes on for about a second before going blue screen.

but yet again if i plug xbox in using the same hdmi lead everytime the xbox picture works fine!!!!

ignore the splitter - i havent been using it today ive just been direct connecting everything......

at 1st my xbox was streaming 1080p but i altered it to 1080i to match the sky output....

only thing i can think of is not recognising a certain sky hdmi signal ..... ive now tried 3 sky hd-boxes and its the blue screen on all of them.......

appreciate any other advice or ideas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so you've ruled out that the Sky box is faulty.  Which really only leaves the settings on the TV. 

Can you try a factory reset.  I believe that this is located under Settings > Set-up > All Reset.

If that still fails - Try connecting the Sky box via Scart or Composte (or even component) cables as a test.

smiffster
New

hi. yes done factory reset and yes sky works in scart - my xbox is definatly 1080i and sky is the same but yet 1 works and the other doesnt ----- looks like its time for the scrap heap :9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im sorry to say, I have absolutely no idea either, you have done all the testing/fault finding that I would have done.  I can see the potential merry-go-round on this one.  Report fault to Sony > Sky's fault. Report fault to Sky > Sony's fault.  I had that same problem with LoveFilm once.  My only other suggestion, is try posting your problem and fault findings on the AV Forums, some bright-spark may know/or have another idea at least.

Cheers

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

For hdmi handshake problems look here:

http://www.hdcabling.co.za/hdcp_hdmi_handshake_troubleshooting_guidelines.php

Maybe a strict power-up sequence can help.

I suspect the faulty HDMI port on your TV caused some handshake timing issue way later, and only affects some equipment.