Join now - be part of our community!

Streaming issues with Sony kdl32w653a

phil750
New

Streaming issues with Sony kdl32w653a

Hi All, 

Brought a new sony for my bedroom set up a few weeks ago. All has been fine since. 

I tried streaming something from one of my networked hard drives, and it will work fine for a random time

(sometimes its 10 mins sometimes it 30 seconds) then i will get a message saying "Cannot connect to server" 

I have tried this from 2 different media servers i have running. 

I can stream stuff online to my tv with no problems( via youtube etc...), and i can stream from my media server to my pc with no problems at all. 

I get good read/write speeds, tested and i can write to them at about 30mb/s and read at about 20mb/s. 

My tv is wired in. 

I have the latest software available. 

Anyone else had any problems?? 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have theory here : The TV can only buffer a small amount of information, much less than a PC/Laptop.  Try running the video file through a program called Bitrate Viewer.  This should give you a little more information in regards to average bitrate and maximum bitrate.

Can you try playing the problem video file directly via a USB drive to the TV?

Also, the network cables.  Are you using CAT5 or CAT5e or even CAT6?  If you are using CAT5, I would suggest using CAT5e or CAT6 instead.

Cheers.

phil750
New

thanks for that, 

i have cat5e cables hooked into a gigabit switch. 

But yer it would make sense it might be some buffering issue. 

I ran bitrate viewer and one file i was trying (i have tried a few videos too) is average 5340kbs

but is maxing at 34000kbs. That might be the problem if the tele cant store that much? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

From that, im reasonably confident, its that "burst" bitrate @34000kbps.  Try re-encoding the file, and set a max bitrate of say 10000kbps as a test (removing that variable).  Now if that fixes it. You then know what the problem is.  If that doesnt resolve the problem...well...back to the drawing board.