Join now - be part of our community!

Swivel Stand for Sony Bravia KDL40HX853

profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer

Swivel Stand for Sony Bravia KDL40HX853

Considering upgrading my TV and I am very irritated that a £1000 TV such as the 40HX853 doesn't come with the free option of a swivel stand as opposed to the  6 degree tilts stand. Not all lounges will suit that fixed angle of view.

Looking at the Samsung range as an alternative because of it but I am a long long time user of Sony and would prefer to keep that going.

What are the options and is there a swivel stand available please ?

Message was edited by: gastyli

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

certainly not for this model im afraid, the HX853 only comes with the soundbar and fixed at 6 degrees.

profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer

Thanks for responding.

Which would be  a showstopper for me. My furniture and viewing angles required would mean this set is not suitable. Daft but important reason NOT to buy :slight_frown:

Very short sighted thinking by Sony. I have been told that "you" can buy a Sony swivel stand as a seperate item ?

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

No there is no swivel stand for the TV. Only alternative would be to wall mount on a swing arm bracket to allow you to tilt as appropriate?

thanks

Bravia55HX

the HX923 and HX853 are Monolith designed tv's so perhaps for your perpose you'll be more suited to the HX753 which has a different stand, not only does this swivel but you have the option to tilt it or not.

profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer

This is typically poor customer service and design by Sony. Good products but pathetic understanding of what customers what. its not just me but several forums I have been too have posts related to this one, really badly designed, stand. Who on earth wants a fixed angle, fixed direction screen ? Plenty of course but also plenty who want a vertical swivel option. Sony support do offer an alternative for between £20-40...part number SU-HX85M which is a swivel stand that fit sthe HX series. Why don't they offer it as an accessory ?

Bravia55HX

then what will you do for speakers?, unless your prepared to hook it up to a home cinema kit the stand will be of no use at all as the speakers for the tv is in the plinth.

last years HX923 did'nt have that problem as the speakers were in the tv and the sound bar so if you did not want to use the sound bar you could use the standard stand and the tv speakers.

as already stated this is a monolith design suited only to those that want such.

as for the SU-HX85M i cant find anything on it, perhaps for the American market or Europe, maybe Sony can shed a little light on this.

profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer

I always run my sound through ny Sony home cinema kit. I've never heard any TV speaker or sound bar sound that good and for BluRays you need 5.1 to get the full benefit. I have heard the sound from the HX853 base and lets just say that tinny is being polite IMO :wink:

TVs are primarily for looking at pictures and with this set...which I really love...the 6 degree angle and the non swivelling is a huge drawback.  I can't find that part number anywhere either but I know of at least two people who have ordered it from Sony UK after being advised and are using it. Maybe its intended for another set and just happens to fit. I would look at a 753 but very few stock it and John Lewis, my prefered choice with their 5 year gurantee, don't seem to have it at all. Very odd. Given the premium price of the HX853 it wouldn't be unreasobale to at least offer the stand as an alternative or an alternative equivelent model that is more flexible in positioning in a lounge

Or I could just buy a Samsung and not have the problem at all :devil:

Bravia55HX

well the choice is entirely yours of coarse, i had the HX923 last year till i had a small niggle and since offered the HX853 its a cracking set, does not quite cut it with the backlight like the 923 did but the picture is outstanding

i like the six degree tilt on mine (both sets had it), many people have been round and viewed this and have been impressed with the way it tilts back.

as for sound quality, i too noticed its different from the 923 i had, the 923 had a certain richness to it, although i admit whilst this is fine for normal tv viewing its not ideal for blu rays and thats why i use my Sony amp through a full compliment of Mission speakers, fortunately i have good neighbours!.

have a good re think before you go off half cocked and buy a Samsung, not that theres any problem with them as such, i mean i quite like them but for all their bells and whistles i dont think they quite match up to the picture processing of the Sony's.

Bravia55HX

i will be honest and say go for it!, the tilt issue if your sitting like i do with mine front ways on you will hardly notice it, its only when you look from the side it shows, i think you'll like it in the end.

John Lewis is very good for looking after their customers too.