Join now - be part of our community!

Things I find frustrating about the Sony EX723 range

profile.country.IE.title
andy_from_sligo
Explorer

Things I find frustrating about the Sony EX723 range

I have a Sony KDL-32EX723 Television and these are the things I find frustrating, they are not big things and on the whole the Sony is a brilliant TV. Here are the things that could have been improved on at manufacturing level or maybe can be added to a future Firmware update:

1.) takes a while from first turning on the TV to detect external speakers or headpones plugged into the headphone socket.

2.) Nothing in the settings menu to adjust the transparity or colours of the menu background so you have a black transparent background under the text and can see the TV picture underneath, why not include a setting to make the background colour of the menu a solid colour so its legible.

3.) the fact that you need a dedicated Sony camera for using SKYPE compatible with the TV, why not include drivers for other popilar makes like Logitec or Philips or Microsoft - even better why they didnt use a tiny built in camera at the top of the screen.

4.) the fact that on their 26" ranges they had Wi-Fi built in and not built in on the larger sets.

5.) the fact that the TV does not have built in Bluetooth for phones for streaming pictures and audio using A2DP or the fact that you cannot purchase an add on Bluetooth Dongle to plug into the TV and get Bluetooth Features.

6.) The fact that you can record onto a Hard Drive in USB2 socket but no facility for Live pause or Time-shifting, which you can on some lesser known cheaper brands of TV makes on the market now.

7.) The fact that you can only record onto hard drive the Digital channels only and not record analog signal from AV2 scart composite signal. I had a Dvd recorder oce with built in Hard drive and that recorded digital terrestial as well as anything plugged into the scart socket so it is possible.

8.) When viewing youtube and you select something the fact that it stays in the preview box and not go straight to full screen, and that you have to press select enter again to get it full screen and another annoying thing is the audio 'dropout' when it goes from preview to full screen.

9.) the fact that when you are watching you tube that even when selecting some videos that dont fill the whole screen you cannot zoom any more into the picture to fill the screen even if t means the picture wil go blocky/pixalised a bit.

10.) in the wiget gallery in the calendar or alarm widget the fact that you cannot set any reminders as a pop-up when watching TV picture to tell you say "so and so is about to start on BBC1 in 10 minutes"  or  "dont forget to check something cooking in the oven" with a little jingle though the tv speakers as the pop-up displays on screen for a few seconds.

11.) no missed calls reminder onscreen for SKYPE missed calls.

12.) the plethora  of messages when you start up the TV like "Checking speakers plugged in" and "Signing into SKYPE" and the amount of time it checks to see if external speakers are plugged in, this is all frustrating.

13.) the fact that you cannot get a QWERTY keybord to work with this television to make inputting words for searching music/video easier or maybe sony could have put a QWERTY keyboard on the back of the TV remote control?

14.) The ability to changed advanced settings in the picture menu when you have the picture set to 'Vivid'.

15.) The amount of time it takes to switch from one digital channel to another digital channel is long and without audio.

16.) no blue-screen when there is no TV signal, or AV signal and no options of any screensaver when no signal is available or if picture is paused on TV screen for a long time - something like a white 'SONY' writing on a black backround moving around the screen would suffice.

17.) not including Netflix service on the 2011 range of Bravia's

I know i am being petty I suppose on a lot of things but there are the areas I think Sony could have improved on this range and a lot of these suggestions wouldnt have pushed the price up any more on the sets but it would have improved the features of this range immensly.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
SimonPerchard
Visitor

Hi Andy

Overall we are enjoying our KDLEX 723 model albeit with some minor quibbles. Can I ask one question - how did you manage to connect to the internet ? Did you use a cable to a router or the Sony dongle ?

And was it straightforward ?

Thanks

Simon

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there Simon.  I Think I might be able to answer your question.

I bought my mum the EX723 TV and later on, I added the Sony Wireless dongle (UWABR100).  I was very uneasy at first in regards to alot of bad reviews on Amazon.  However I am pleased to say, it works brilliantly.  I plugged it in directly to the TV, within a few seconds, it will display a message on the TV, saying it has been recognised.  Then you goto your network settings on the TV/Wireless setup, and get it to autodetect all settings.  Just input the password via your remote control, and all works.

There did come a time that when my mum moved her TV, the wireless dongle never detected a wireless signal. The dongle comes with a USB extender, So I plugged the dongle into it, and the extender into the TV and placed it slightly away from the TV, and shes never had a problem since.

To relax your fears.  Everything was very straight forward.

Hope that helps.