Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to play video, music or photos from ethernet connected PC

profile.country.GB.title
wickywise
Explorer

Unable to play video, music or photos from ethernet connected PC

I have just installed a new SONY 65XE7002 and connected it with a ethernet cable to my PC running Windows 10.

I am able to see my videos and music files listed on the TV but when I select one and press the play button, I get a message saying "unable to find the file" or "unable to play the file". If I connect the same videos using the USB connection they play perfectly.

On my old LG TV I was able to play videos, music and photos without any problems.

I would appreciate any advice on this issue.

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi wickywise,

Thanks for your message and welcome to the community.

I’ve passed this on to the relevant team to look into and someone will let you know when there's more info to share.

Thanks,
Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
Owen_G

Hi again,

Could you please let us know if you're running the ethernet through a router?

Thanks,

Owen

profile.country.GB.title
wickywise
Explorer

I can confirm that my Ethernet connection is from the router to the TV. This enables me to see the files on my TV that are stored on my PC. The problem is that although I can select them, the TV is unable to play them. I should also add that in the thumbnail view, the files are displayed in what looks like white boxes, with what looks like a lightning strikes through them. I assume this denotes there is a problem with the files. Having said this, the files play perfectly well when played via a USB stick.
I should add that this same Ethernet connection worked perfectly with my old LG TV.
Because on the TV I can see the files stored on my PC, I assume I have made the right HDMI connections on the TV. I do not think HDMI connections have anything to do with the problem but just to let you know I have HDMI from a Sky Box in connection 2 and a DVD player in connection 3.
Thank for addressing this matter.
Regards
Victor [personal details removed by moderator]

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

profile.country.GB.title
Owen_G

Hi again Victor,

Could you also please let us know the file type? Supported video files are: AVCHD, MPEG2, MPEG1, MP4 (AVC), MP4 (MPEG4), WMV.

Thanks,

Owen

profile.country.GB.title
wickywise
Explorer

Thank you for your response. However, it has added to my total confusion. In your list of supported files you do not include AVI files. Some of my files are AVI files and when played through the USB connection on the TV they play perfectly. I conclude that this means the TV does support AVI files.
However, I added some MP4 files to the folder on the PC where the TV had previously recognised the AVI files but could not play them. When opening that folder on the TV, the AVI files where listed as before but the MP4 files where not. I turned both the PC and TV off and tried again but had the same result.
I decided to try photos and music which are JPG and MP3 respectively. Although the MP3 where listed the music would not play at all and a very few of the JPG did play. This of course adds to the confusion where some played and some did not.
I would just like to repeat again that all of the files, whether DVD, MUSIC or PHOTOS types, are the same files that played perfectly on my old LG TV and are using the same PC to TV connection.
I appreciate this is a complex case and thank you for your patience in trying to solve it.

profile.country.GB.title
Owen_G

Hi again,

Could you please try updating your TV with the latest firmware, and see if that solves the issue: http://bit.ly/2hEPDAQ.

Please let us know if the issue persists after the update, and we'll investigate further.

Thanks,

Owen

profile.country.GB.title
wickywise
Explorer

I have just received a message on my TV to say a new update was available. Having installed the update I can now play videos, music and pictures stored on my PC. My updated software version is now 8,500-1000-1.100-02. Many thanks to every one who took the time to offer help. And just to mention that AVI files should be added to the list of supported files,
Regards.

profile.country.GB.title
wickywise
Explorer

It worked once and despite numerous efforts it has not worked again so I am back to square one. I tried it on my old tv and that too does not work even though it worked before. I suspect it is not the tv's but something to do with the PC.