Join now - be part of our community!

Update for YouTube App on some SONY TVs is needed

profile.country.GB.title
Cefizelj

Update for YouTube App on some SONY TVs is needed

Starting from March the 1st 2018 I have noticed that I can't play many YouTube videos on my SONY TV as I did before. When I want to watch affected video(s), after selecting a video, info LOADING appears on TV, followed by black screen. It must be that YouTube has made some recent changes to viewing protocol and YouTube App on my SONY TV can't handle it. Until now, in 12 days after March the 1st, number of affected YouTube videos that can't be played has progressively risen to about 10% and still rising (rest of videos can be played normally). Soon YouTube App on my TV will be useless, unless SONY in cooperation with YouTube doesn't make an upgrade to solve this issue.

Television: SONY Bravia KDL-32W600A

Firmware: PKG4.600EUA

YouTube App: ed0d0315

Browser: Opera 1211980

SONY KD-43XE8005 820x518 [4] 9.19MB.gif

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi there, welcome to the Sony Community :slight_smile:

Sadly it is true that older TVs are progressivley less catered-for by app developers and YouTube's developers are no exception. My understanding is that manufacturers and programmers alike are reluctant to allocate valuable development resources to outgoing technology, for obvious reasons. 

I hope you're still able to enjoy the YouTube app to some extent; sorry I'm unable to suggest a solution as such.

Regards,

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Cefizelj

I have noticed that overnight YouTube App on my Television has been upgraded to newer version. Unfortunately the issue about YouTube videos that can’t be played is present as before. I am not surprised about that, because changes that YouTube has implemented are just two weeks old. So we still need YouTube App update that will address the issue and solve the problem.

Current YouTube App version: 4a5b8f63

profile.country.GB.title
Cefizelj

Thank you SONY and YouTube for helping us out!

Overnight yet another YouTube App version emerged on my Television. Unfortunately as before everything stays the same. Many YouTube videos are still not playable. Until today the number of such videos has risen to 20%. New YouTube App version is needed.

Current YouTube App version: ef8048a1

profile.country.GB.title
Cefizelj

New day welcomed me with new YouTube App version on my TV. Nothing has changed. +20% of YouTube videos can’t be played.

Let me explain how I am getting these figures. I am monitoring two YouTube channels that I am well familiar with, each with 100 videos per channel. At the moment +20 videos out of 100 are not playable.

Current YouTube App version: cda2bc58

profile.country.GB.title
Cefizelj

In the last few days two new Sony Entertainment Network YouTube App versions appeared on my Television. Problem is there as before. Many YouTube videos can’t be played. At the moment 30% of videos are un-playable. It is clear that we are slowly but surely loosing YouTube.

Previous YouTube App version: c29d6c34

Current YouTube App version: 1e25f726

profile.country.GB.title
Cefizelj

Over the past week there were three Sony Entertainment Network YouTube App version updates.

YouTube App version update: e64f6590

YouTube App version update: 26bd3166

Current YouTube App version: b8ad7f9c

Number of un-playable YouTube videos remains at 30%. The problem isn’t solved yet.

profile.country.GB.title
Cefizelj

As from today all YouTube videos are playable again when using current Sony Entertainment Network YouTube App version installed on my Television. I hope this is not only a temporarily YouTube Easter gift of reversing back to old viewing protocol and that this Good News :slight_smile: will be permanent. We’ll see, only time will tell?

Previous YouTube App version: 47fe3143

Current YouTube App version: f4ebe109

profile.country.GB.title
angloathens
New

All I get now is the initial bloody youtube screen - and that is that! So the present app is totally useless.

profile.country.GB.title
Cefizelj

Angloathens, in your case a Television Reset would probably help. Try it.

Or maybe not? Please, read this first!