Join now - be part of our community!

Very slow and unreliable internet on KDL-40EX653

profile.country.da_DK.title
ssn231090
Visitor

Very slow and unreliable internet on KDL-40EX653

Hi all,

I just picked up the KDL-40EX653 today. The screen itself fine, but the features related to the internet is very slow and unreliable. Takes 1-2 mins to render a simple webpage, cannot connect to netflix (getting timeouts all the time), generally everything either takes 1-2 mins to load or doesn't load at all. Not quite what I expected.

I've tried changing the channel for my wireless, that didn't work.

Also, I can't seem to 'pair' my iPhone with the TV using the Sony remote app. To connect the iPhone and TV just have to be connected to the same Wi-Fi connection (i.e. my wireless router)?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
Batfinkk

Sounds like the wifi signal in that part of the room may be a little weak. Have you tried hardwiring it or using Homeplugs? Any form of video streaming is far more robust with a wired solution to be honest.

ssn231090
Visitor

It works fine by cable, it would just be nice to avoid them :

AlanJB
New

Hi, SSN, you are quite right, Wifi works really well on PCs, phones and laptops, so it's really not good enough to lash up the system with wires around the living room. The Bravia TVs are brilliant in many ways but they aren't cheap, we paid for these functions, so why should we have to buy extra cables or plugs?

I note with some sadness that very few of the questions on this forum get real answers, ie solutions. A good solution would be like, 'this is what you're doing wrong, it will perform to spec if you do this instead'. Do we have to accept that whaatever we try, the sets don't do what it says on the box?.

Nielsen

WiFi works as well on my Tv as on other devices in my experience. The TV browser sucks though, but that is another issue -slow processor and low and slow ram in TV. I only use the browser for small check-up stuff.

The other wifi devices are not cornered like the TV, so if you try some basic wifi tricks it might work better.

Nielsen

Wifi problems are often caused by noise or interference. Use following checklist:

• Turn of or replace other radio frequency sources like microwave ovens, baby alarms, cordless phones (use DECT devices) etc.
  • Move transmitter and receiver around if possible to avoid "black" spots. Also furniture can cause problems.
  • Check for other wifi nets. If a high wifi access points density is present in your neighbourhood, change channel and select 20 MHz bandwidth on your router. Select ch.1 or 5 or 9 or13 to avoid overlapping or in UK 1,6,11 are recommended. How well auto ch. selection handles overlapping depends on our router.

Increasing output power on you router is not a solution, unless signals are weak and distances long (> 15m).
Also be aware that normal wifi transmitters are limited to about 30m indoor.

Message was edited by: Nielsen

this editor kills me

AlanJB
New

Thanks, Nielsen, but I'm sure the Wifi signal is OK. I have 3 computers in different rooms (and running different Windows os) and the networking is fine. Instead it may be my ignorance of smartphones that's the problem. The TV registers the phone and invites the transfer. But to get from the Wifi Direct app to the gallery or video app, I use the phone's back button, and this seems to disconnect something. So although I press to share or send via Wifi Direct, the phone reports a failure to send.

minnietheminx21
Visitor

I agree with you Alan. Why is this Smart TV technology so dumb and why do I have to buy extra equipment to make it work when I have other devices working well all over the house. I have just been trying to log into my sony account on the TV. It took so long and then logged me out of my account whilst I was trying to get access to Video Unlimited. A total misnomer.

I am annoyed.