Join now - be part of our community!

very slow file transfer KDL-37W5500

davhall23
Explorer

very slow file transfer KDL-37W5500

After owning this TV for 3 years i have finally got round to making use of the home networking facility. however although I can now see the picture and media files on my PC it takes so long to load them onto the TV that it makes viewing photos or listening to music impossible.

The TV is connected by ethernet cable to a Virgin Media Superhub and the PC is linked wirelessly to the hub using a netgear card.

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards,

DAve.

6 REPLIES 6
davhall23
Explorer

Slight correction sorry - it is a TP Link network adaptor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

A couple of questions for you:

•  The TP-Link NIC - is that in your PC?  Also are you still connected wirelessly to the router?  If the PC is connected wirelessly, can you test if this works correctly if the PC is wired with an ethernet cable?
  • When you say slow - how slow is it?  What file size is the photos and how long does it take to move to the next?
  • Are you using any DLNA server software (such as Homestream) ?
  • Have you got the latest firmware installed on the TV.  If so, try performing a factory reset as well, as this may clear any gremlins (as such)

Just trying to get a picture of whats going on.

Cheers

davhall23
Explorer

Spoiler

Yes the TP Link wireless adaptor is in my PC. The PC is connected wirelessly to the router and works fine for internet downloads (30Mb/s). The TV is connected to the router by ethernet cable. I updated the firmware in the TV recently.

Photos of about 1.5Mb size take about 30s to load, music files (4Mb) take a good 10 mins and then will only play in 2 second bursts. I installed homestream the other night to see if this would help but it made no difference.

Thanks.

Dave.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

My only suggestion at the moment is for you to reset your TV back to factory default, as it may clear out any 'gremlins' since the update.

Instructions : HERE

Cheers

davhall23
Explorer

Tried that to no avail. Any other ideas please?
By the way I grossly misunderestimated the time to load a photo. I waited over 5 mins on Saturday and gave up with only half the photo appearing on screen!
Anonymous
Not applicable

A bit of a long shot - but could the ethernet cable from Superhub to TV be faulty, try replacing it anyhow?  Also try using another port on the Superhub.

It that fails, I guess the next step is to actually test where the fault lies exactly:

If you can, try testing the TV on someone elses broadband connection (a bit pain in the....), if it is indeed the TV, you will probably need to take it in for repairs.  And if it works, its another device on your network.

I dont have any more advice for you to be honest.  And it certainly is a weird problem.