Join now - be part of our community!

wifi dongle

profile.country.GB.title
stephen4321
Explorer

wifi dongle

can you use a cheaper wifi dongle to connect bravia 40ex403 tv to internet via wireless bt hub

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.en_GB.title
Ballcocks
Explorer

I used Netgear WNCE2001 it plugs into ethernet port and draws power from USB. I paid about £32 from pixmania. Streams in HD on Iplayer

KDL-22PX300
Visitor

@Ballcocks. Thanks for the information.

Any more confirmations that the Netgear WNCE2001 can be used instead of the official pricy Sony wifi dongle.

profile.country.GB.title
stephen4321
Explorer

Thanks for the reply, is it easy to set up when you get it

Thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

Altenatively look at some homeplugs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=homeplugs&x=0&y=0

Faster throughput than wi-fi and very easy to setup

Thanks

Tralfamadon
Visitor

Here's one other alternative that worked for me.

I had an old wireless router that I wasn't using.  I downloaded some firmware for it from DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index).  It works with a wide variety of routers and allows the router to be re-configured in a variety of modes.

I set mine up as a "client bridge", which basically means that it will link anything plugged-in to one of its hard-wired network ports to the wireless network.  It takes a bit of fiddling to upgrade the firmware and configure the device as a client bridge but all the instructions for that are on the DD-WRT site.

It works well.  I have the re-configured router plugged into my TV using the ethernet port on the TV and it is now part of the wireless network just the same as if I had put a dongle in the USB port.

profile.country.GB.title
stephen4321
Explorer

Thank you all for the helpfull replies, have ordered  the universal netgear adapter from amazon will let you know how it works

profile.country.GB.title
stephen4321
Explorer

update  tried the  netgear universal adapter but could not get it to link up to my bt 2 hub so have sent it back to amazon, looks like i will have to buy that overpriced sony dongle

thanks

tallkeith
Visitor

I'm using the Netgear wnce2001 with BT hub 2. TV is Bravia ex503 - it works a treat.

I bought the wifi ethernet bridge from Maplin. You set it up by plugging it into your computer to give it the network id and wep key. then plug it into your tv.

Simples - as they say!

profile.country.GB.title
stephen4321
Explorer

tried pushing the button on netgear and bt2 hub but does not link, so tried plugging it into my bt hub as i dont have a spare  ethernet port or wireless on my computer it then asks me to enter password associated with my hub. not sure what password i am supposed to enter ?