Join now - be part of our community!

wifi dongle

profile.country.GB.title
stephen4321
Explorer

wifi dongle

can you use a cheaper wifi dongle to connect bravia 40ex403 tv to internet via wireless bt hub

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.en_GB.title
Pedro126
Explorer

I managed to use the open:media ethernet wifi bridge to connect the Sony home cinema to my wireless network.

I pre-set this up on a laptop computer, using not the disc supplied but the latest version of the set up software from the website for the device www.wifibridge.co.uk. I converted my wirelesss network encryption passphrase to hexadecimal using an online converter and entered this number into the device's set-up screen on the laptop.

After a couple of attempts (neeed to access the Sony network setup screen) it connected to my home network, and I successfully downloaded a sony software update for the home cinema (auto process).

Its not a true internet connection, but just goes to some Sony interactive area, where you can access BBC iPlayer etc. etc.

At first I though I had wasted my money on the open:media device (£23) and was looking to buy a cheap LAN cable ~ £3 for 20metres for a direct connection to my modem/router's LAN ports (highly unsightly, but makes a fast rock solid connection), but by perservering and doing the above steps it is now working.

Of course then you find out that the ITV's version of iPlayer is not available (yet, when?), and that it is not actually a true web browser, probably makes it way more reliable, but of course much more limited.

Stephen.cg
Visitor

Hi:

I have a KDL-32ex403 and following advice elsewhere on this forum I bought a Vonets VAP11G wi-fi bridge. (£22.00 ebay).  Set it up on the PC, plugged it in to the TV ethernet and usb ports and it works perfectly. BBC iPlayer, YouTube, LoveFilm, Demand5 etc. all available.

pleon12
Visitor

Hallo Stephen - so please share the secret - how did you connect your dongle and what is the network code.I am trying to connect the Sony dongle to a KDL40 EX 403U - with abject failure.I can find my network on screen but my network code(the code of the Broadband provider?)is obviously not right - so what code?Any help please!!!

Catmambo
Contributor

The code is your WEP/WPA code which you have either specified youself during ISP setup or is defined by your ISP ( sometimes written on your router) themselves. You can normally find out what it is by logging into your router..

Roguefarmer
Explorer

Hi Stephen,

you seem to know a thing or two about connecting your new TV to the internet.  I just bought the KDL-40ex403 and wish to do the same.

I can't see the point of buying the more expensive Sony dongle if it isn't necessary but before I go for the Vonets VAP11G  can you help me by telling me what's required in setting up the connection between this dongle and the TV?

I thought you plugged the dongle into the back of the TV?  Am I right? If the Dongle goes into the TV does it go into the USB port or?

Or does the dongle go into the router?  Again into the USB port?

I use a Mac.  Do I use my Mac to configure the dongle and Tv setup or???

My router is in the Hall and my TV is in the living room.  Everything seems to receive the router signal okay and I don't want to connect my router or computer via cable.

Is the process for setting up the Vonets dongle the same as setting up the Sony?

You can see I know nothing about this so would appreciate any help you can give.  Thanks for your time. Anything you pass onto me will be passed onto my good buddy who is in a similar situation - so you can have his thanks in advance too!

Cheers...

Alan

Roguefarmer
Explorer

Hi Tallkeith,

do you know if the Netgear wnce2001 would work with a Tiscali router?

If so would the process be the same?

Cheers...

Alan

Kevinm888
Visitor

Stephen

Got the Vonets and set it up on PC. Seems to work fine connecting pc to router but cannot get the TV (kdl-ex 503-37) to connect to Vonets. Doesn't seem to detect it is there.

Any tips on how you got yours to work?

profile.country.GB.title
stephen4321
Explorer

Hi

I use the Vonets and it works fine

first you have to connect it to the computer to set it up with the installation disc, it will then ask you to select your router from a list and enter security code which was the  wpa code on the back of my bt home hub 2 it will turn blue when set up

you then remove it and connect to your tv

then go to set up on tv and select cable set up

hope this helps

Kevinm888
Visitor

Stephen

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Vonets seemed to set up fine and tested it as a wireless pc connection to router, all OK, However when plugged in to TV it wasn't picking up the network. Tried all the set up routines but no luck, hence my original post. In the meantime I thought I'd run a long phone cable I have from one room to the other and connected the router to the tv and the Vonets to the router and re-ran the wired connection set up.  Thats seemed to get everything in sync and then the Vonets worked on its own as intended..
However after a few nights of successful internet viewings there was no conenction to the network. Tried re-setting however the Vonets seemed to blow a fuse or something as it ended up going dark and  not taking any power from the USB.
Sent it back as a faulty unit and said I would try another one as it maybe was just a dodgy one.
Fingers crossed!!!
honestaitch
Visitor

I bought one of these devices this week off ebay (can give the details of the supplier on request). Set it up as Stephen suggested on my PC, no problem. Then connected it to the TV and went through the network setup, specifying a wired connection. Now the TV is connected to the internet without any wires hanging about. Currently watching HD BBC iPlayer without any problem.