Join now - be part of our community!

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

Hi everyone, just wondering what Sony will be doing for it's UK Customers who own earlier versions of the X9005A, including myself with the HDMI 4 port seperate on the back, rather than together in later versions. From what I've read on the web, the later versions of this TV with the HDMI 4 port upgraded support HDCP 2.2, whereas the earlier versions of this TV don't. This upgrade will become necessary once the FMP - X5 Media Player is launched.

US Customers who own earlier versions of this TV are being looked after by Sony as they are being offered a free in house upgrade.

However with regards to UK Customers, Sony UK have said nothing. Some poeple have tried to find out what Sony UK will be doing with regards to this, but apparently have been ignored. This is not good enough imho.

Please could Sony UK let us customers know what they are going to do with regards to this asap.

Thanks  

80 REPLIES 80
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi spoken to Pacifica Group with regards to this and waiting to hear back. Because of all the hassle that we as customers have had getting this done, I think that it's only right that Sony should supply us with a free FMP-X5  Media Player as a gesture of goodwill. Sony UK have already offered to exchange sets to the X9005B and some affected customers have accepted, so I don't think it will cost them too much to give the media player for free. After all we have all paid between 4 - 6K for our sets. It's the least Sony UK could do. Will keep you all posted :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sound10 wrote:

Hi spoken to Pacifica Group with regards to this and waiting to hear back. Because of all the hassle that we as customers have had getting this done, I think that it's only right that Sony should supply us with a free FMP-X5  Media Player as a gesture of goodwill.

Nice try :thumbsup: - to answer this question, you must contact Sony directly.  However, unfortunately the chances are next to nil.

@sound10 wrote:

Sony UK have already offered to exchange sets to the X9005B and some affected customers have accepted, so I don't think it will cost them too much to give the media player for free. After all we have all paid between 4 - 6K for our sets. It's the least Sony UK could do. Will keep you all posted :slight_smile:

Sony UK NEVER offered to replace/exhange the X9005A with the X9005B.  An error was made from Pacifica, of which it should never have been offered.  I understand that you was offered an exchange TV and refused it :slight_smile:

In regards to the engineers not having access to the FMP-X5 to test - I was merely passing on what I was told.  I have re-read the origninal conversation to see if I have mis-interpret it, but I dont think I have. 

This is the relevent passage : "However, when they will go on-site to do this upgrade, they will require to test it along with the X5. Therefore, they cannot plan any intervention as yet, they need to wait for that accessory to be delivered first."

As a logical explaination - It seems that the replacement program to upgrade to HDCP 2.2 has started earlier than expected.  Im wondering if the FMP-X5 is not available as of yet - However I have no way to confirm this.  This would apear to be a question for Pacifica.

It;ll happen, doesnt the Tortoise win againt the Hare?

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi Quinnicus, thanks for your reply. I guess it has been a good omen that the service centre were unable to carry out the upgrade today as there would have been no way to test it. Will also have a word with Sony UK with regards to this and see if I get anywhere. Yes I did decline the upgrade offer to the X9005B as I'm very happy with my X9005A and when I tested both the 65" X9005A and the 65" X9005B at my local electrical store side by side, I preferred the X9005A, especially when it came to sound quality. Will keep you all updated :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, please keep me posted on what happens - curious and interested :slight_smile:

I do browse the AV Forums at times, but this one keeps me occupied and busy enough and can be days/weeks between visits :grin:

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi Quinnicus, had the upgrade done earlier this week. Service Centre did an excellent job, however they were not provided with the FMP-X5 Media Player :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update - at least the upgrade has been done :slight_smile:

ikjetil
Explorer

I've had the update done and have got my fmp-x5. Just wanted you to know it was a letdown. I could not get sound out of the audio output hdmi, so I had to use the sound on the TV. The media player does not connect to my LAN NAS, so I cannot play video from NAS. Just from attached USB port. Netflix is in 4K but only some episodes from 2 shows and four other nature videoes is available to me here in Norway. So no content yet. That is ofcourse not Sony fault. The picture quality is superb. The menus I think are easy to use. All in all a big letdown for me, now I have to purchase a second 4K media player to play 2/4K from NAS.

Recommendation. Dont buy the sony media player. Wait for another player to become available.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

At the moment, the market is far too new to have 4K media players.  The Sony is the best your going to get at this moment (and for a little while)

You have the streamers (not a player) developed by Nanotech : HERE - but they only connect via HDMI 1.4a (4K @ 30hz).

Other than that, a good site to keep an eye on is HERE - lists heaps of players on the market and upcoming ones.

Cheers

J-star

Stills feels odd to have to buy an extra box for a very recent 4K tv just to get the only real 4K content that is available in the mainstream at present.  Not to mention the inconvenience and unnecessary clutter of having yet another box on the shelf.

I have the KD-55X9005A and am seriously considering selling it to get a newer 2014 4K model.  However I will probably wait until there is more 4K content available considering the money I will have lost, having bought my TV relatively early.  But I would probably go for this option rather than something like the FMP X5.  Though I really think Sony should offer some sort of rebate for consumers in my situation considering the price of my TV especially how much it was when it was bought or at least offer the FMP X5 for free.  I would prefer the first option to be honest.  Spending this much money you don't expect to have to add on an external /clunky box just to use the main USP of the product i.e. 4K.  It's really substandard, even though in every other aspect the TV is great -- well almost every other, because also it was described as Full HD-3D capable, but in fact with the 55" version it halves the vertical resolution for 3D I understand so even this is not accurate?

Help me out Sony!?

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi J-star,

take a peek at this thread: http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/sony-x9005a-owners-amp-netflix-4k-hevc-codec/td-p/1591963

There are a few of us still smarting over the way this was handled, after all we only helped fund Sony to develop and make viable the 2014 range of 4K televisions.

You are quite right that the TV is great in every other respect :slight_smile:

If it ain't broke don't fix it