Join now - be part of our community!

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

Hi everyone, just wondering what Sony will be doing for it's UK Customers who own earlier versions of the X9005A, including myself with the HDMI 4 port seperate on the back, rather than together in later versions. From what I've read on the web, the later versions of this TV with the HDMI 4 port upgraded support HDCP 2.2, whereas the earlier versions of this TV don't. This upgrade will become necessary once the FMP - X5 Media Player is launched.

US Customers who own earlier versions of this TV are being looked after by Sony as they are being offered a free in house upgrade.

However with regards to UK Customers, Sony UK have said nothing. Some poeple have tried to find out what Sony UK will be doing with regards to this, but apparently have been ignored. This is not good enough imho.

Please could Sony UK let us customers know what they are going to do with regards to this asap.

Thanks  

80 REPLIES 80
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone was ever forced to get the FMP-X5 Media Player before they had the free upgrade done by Sony. I along with many other owners of this TV were never made to purchase the media player before getting this free upgrade. However it seems now that Sony UK will not do the free upgrade until you buy the media player.

This in my opinion is very wrong of Sony UK. We all paid a huge premium for this TV and will 4k content now finally available via Sky Q and other platforms, Sony should the upgrade free for every customer who owns this TV. I will be raising an official complaint with Sony UK with regards to this.

grcrane
Explorer

I have been arguing with Sony for several weeks about this and I'm getting exactly the same response from them. There must be quite a few customers (soon to be ex-customers) in our position. I have raised a new support request with Sony in the faint hope that it might get through to a different support person who  actually understands the problem. I have no intention of purchasing an FMP-X5 just to get the upgrade to HDMI4 to enable HDCP 2.2 when that player is now over two years and has very limited functionality.
I'll post back here if I make any progress.

Regards
<Edited by moderator>

darrenng
Explorer

Hi what is this free upgrade? I to was an early adopter of the X9005A in
the UK but so far the only responce I've had from Sony tech is with
regards to netflix 4K and that my TV is not compatible. It would have
been great to have Sky Q for the start of the premier league season but
I'm holding off now as I could be wasting my money.
Sony response below, I'm assuming theres a typo in the last line.

Dear Mr Grindrod

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

In regards to your query, the Netflix on your TV model KD-65X9005A is
not supporting 4K and there is no application update for your Netflix
app so it can support 4K.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,
Muhammed

SONY SUPPORT TEAM
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi darrenng, the response that you have been given by the representative at Sony UK is utter nonsense and it just shows how poor their customer service has got. If you have the early version of either the 55X9005A or the 65X9005A like myself, then you must have the hardware upgrade done so that the HDMI port 4 can be replaced and upgraded so that it is compatible with HDCP 2.2. Only then after that free upgrade can you watch UHD content like Sky Q.

I along with many other owners had the upgrade done for free by Pacifica Group. If you read the earlier pages of this thread, all the details are there with regards to who you need to speak to.

If you still get nowhere with Sony UK, then ask to raise an official complaint and give them the link to this thread.

Just one more thing to say and that is don't let Sony UK force you to buy the FMP-X5 Media Player before they will do the upgrade. I and many other customers were not forced to buy the Media Player and so why should you be different.

The media player is now out of date and certainly not worth 350.00. All it allows you to do is access 4k Netfix and that's about it.

More better options are now available with regards Sky Q and UHD Players for UHD content.

Finally once the upgrade was organised through Pacifica Group, the authorised repair centre came out to my house and did the upgrade.

It is the upgrade to HDMI Port 4 which complies with HDCP 2.2. Hope this helps and please let us know how you get on :slight_smile:

Last_Straw
Explorer

As I said in my first post, an FMP-X5 is not a good buy and should be avoided. My first post was also edited by someone to change my sig. Oh dear, I must have offended somebody!

I'm still awaiting a reply from Sony regarding my new support query.

As suggested by a helpfuI member of another forum, I contacted Pacifica by email and I had a phone call from them within the hour. He helpfully said he would transfer me to the appropriate department and I found myself speaking to Sony support where I was told the only way would be to buy an FMP-X5.

Talk about Kafkaesque.

I'll probably be kicked off the forum after only my second post but I would suggest Googling 'Triax 310054 THC22'. It works on my 55x9005a.

Incidentally my original sig was <edited by moderator> but this bit will probably be edited out too. Best of luck to everyone.

J-star

Hey.  I have the X9005A as an early adopter in the UK and fortunately, according to the Sony support site after inputting my serial number, my model doesn't need a hardware upgrade to support the FMP-X5.  

However, I'm not interested in buying the FMP.  Can I connect other sources like Sky Q as sound10 seems to be suggesting and watch them in 4K that way?

It would be great to finally have my first 4K experience on this tv so many years after buying it in part for that purpose!!

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi J-star, nice to meet you. As long as your HDMI port 4 is HDCP 2.2 compliant you will be able to access UHD content on your X9005A from Sky Q or from a UHD Disc Player. An easy way to double check that you have a slightly later version of the X9005A is that your HDMI Port 4 should not be located seperately on the bottom right of the TV at the back as is the case on mine. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

J-star

Hey.  Yeah my HDMI4 is at the back together with ports 1 & 3 with no. 2 off on the upper right, and only the extra usb ports on the bottom right.

Thanks for the info. I look forward to Sky Q but need to find out if its supported in my apartment block first.  I wonder if a UHD player is a worthwhile investment, I tend to stream movies from apple TV mostly.  Too bad they aren't 4K there yet.  I suppose there's no real mainstream 4K streaming services box other than Amazon yet?  Wouldn't want to subscribe to them just for that reason alone... hopefully Sky Q will be an option! Does it have 4K netflix streaming built-in do you know?

God it is expensive as well (Q).  What exactly is available in UHD does anyone know yet?

darrenng
Explorer

Hi guys,

So am I right in saying that if my X9005A port 4 is compatible with the FMP-X5 box the port has already been upgraded? and should be compatible with SkyQ?

darrenng
Explorer

Hi guys, I have had a response from Sony with regards to me complaining that I should receive the upgrade without purchasing the FMP-X5 box. In regards to your complaint please be advised that unfortunatly no good will could be offered.

After this response I found on the site a search facility which when I supplied my model details told me my screen would support the FMP-X5 box, so does that mean my screen has a HDCP 2.2 port?