Join now - be part of our community!

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

Hi everyone, just wondering what Sony will be doing for it's UK Customers who own earlier versions of the X9005A, including myself with the HDMI 4 port seperate on the back, rather than together in later versions. From what I've read on the web, the later versions of this TV with the HDMI 4 port upgraded support HDCP 2.2, whereas the earlier versions of this TV don't. This upgrade will become necessary once the FMP - X5 Media Player is launched.

US Customers who own earlier versions of this TV are being looked after by Sony as they are being offered a free in house upgrade.

However with regards to UK Customers, Sony UK have said nothing. Some poeple have tried to find out what Sony UK will be doing with regards to this, but apparently have been ignored. This is not good enough imho.

Please could Sony UK let us customers know what they are going to do with regards to this asap.

Thanks  

80 REPLIES 80
Davidsonyproblem
Explorer

The problem I have is having a 4k Sony TV but unable to watch Netflix UHD, No 4k discs until next year and No Sky Q unless I pay £220 for the CX Mount. Yes I know I should have waited but I thought Sony would be more helpful.

darrenng
Explorer

Sony have told me that port 4 on my KD659005A is compatible with Sky Q and BT UHD.

Davidsonyproblem
Explorer

Yes you are lucky and have one of the latter models

profile.country.GB.title
galaxian0906
Explorer

I have an nvidi shield TV connect to my 55X9005A on HDMI 4 port and picture is great on 4k but have sound drops every so many seconds and then fades in again.

I know Port 4 is HDCP 2.2 compliant as my Amazon Prime allows me to see UHD content and play it, but if I connect to any other port in 4K the sound remains perfect but cannot access the actual 4K content !

If I leave settings at 1080p on port 4 also sound remains fine.

I sent this to Sony Technical after they asked me further update:

Hi,    I been having issues for a while with sound from a 4k source via HDMI 4 input.
The sound cut out every few seconds and returns, If I change output to 1080p all issues go away.
I also changed lead for new and no difference, I swap inputs to HDMI 1, 2 and 3 and the is no problem with sound but 4k programmes on Amazon Prime disappear (only available when connected to HDMI 4).

Please help

thank you 

Sony have responded again today with the following: 

Thank you for contacting Sony Support Center!

Regarding the issue you have contacted us with, we have determined from the information you have provided in the previous email that the problem is caused by the HDCP incompatibility.

Based on our information your KD-55X9005A 2013 TV does not have a HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI connection.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Cristiana

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @galaxian0906

Contact Sony Support back stating that it is an incorrect answer and ask for technical support.  I am going on the assumption that 1st Level Support are not fully technical - hence that answer.

I did find this on the US Support Site (updated only a couple of weeks ago) - I cant find the equivelant on the EU Support site though:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44455/

I am assuming your firmware is upto date?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
galaxian0906
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Thanks for your response, much appreciated considering I thought this may end up sitting here weeks without response.

I had the same thought as you in regards to how Sony Support responded to me, I have emailed them back with facts and screen shot of my checked HDMI4 port not requiring a hardware mod.

Yes I have the latest firmware and considering doing a factory reset but hate the idea of putting all my presets back!  Would you suggest a factory reset or makes no difference ?

Best Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think Sony will come back to you at some point and get you to do a factory reset anyhow.  Its one of the first things in the troubleshooting process.  Suggest writing all your settings down beforehand - as then you can just quickly copy them in and then any further resets are a doddle.

In regards to whether it will work <shrug of shoulders> dont know.  I doubt it.  But then I look at this thread HERE - and a factory reset worked. 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
galaxian0906
Explorer

Thanks again Quinnicus,

Did a factory reset and disconnected all inputs except aerial,  went through the usual start up menu, put in all my presets and made no difference but at least we tried.

Thanks for for help and advice and will keep you posted if I hear anything from Sony.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
galaxian0906
Explorer

Hi,

Had TV fixed this week,  Sony agreed they made the wrong assumption with my model and agreed to arrange an engineer.

The engineers rang me last week and after chatting with them for 10 mins agreed they would bring a new PCB board,  one was fitted,, setup and th issue of sound drops has gone !!    

Excellent and thanks for your help too

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Glad it worked out in the end.  You are most welcome.

Happy viewing or is it listening ...  :slight_smile: